Lowriding is one automotive sport that has nothing to do with speed. Which is not to say the cars don’t move: They just move in ways that only a chiropractor would enjoy. The goal is simple: Find a classic ”ride” (favorites include ‘66 Chevy Malibus or vintage Cadillac Coupe DeVilles); rework it with a gleaming paint job, shiny chrome fittings, a chain-link steering wheel; and then – this is the important part – install hydraulic pumps that will raise the chassis up to 12 feet (!) off the ground. Aficionados of this car-customizing subculture, regularly seen in rap videos and immortalized in a classic War song, compete at events to see who has the finest detail work and biggest bounce. Astute readers, who have now deduced that news of a lowriding videogame is imminent, give yourselves a pat on the back. What’s strange, though, is from whence this title comes: Even though the sport originated in Southern California, it took a Japanese company to concoct this wonderfully detailed sim. ”Lowrider,” a rhythm-action game in which players buy a ride, upgrade the hydraulics, create detailed hood ornamentation, and go bumper-to-bumper against other drivers at hops, dances, and cruise shows, is debuting for PlayStation 2 in the U.S. later this month. And it’s got plenty of bounce: ”Lowrider Magazine” has given the game its seal of approval, and the soundtrack includes the hip-hop hit ”Get Low” by Lil Jon & the East Side Boyz. We’ll see ya in the parking lots.
Posted January 17 2015 — 4:48 AM EST
- Two generations of heroes meet in new 'Star Wars Rebels' trailer
- Zayn Malik thanks One Direction at event
- Pixar's 'Inside Out' peek: Joy has a special job for Sadness on first day at a new school
- ACM Awards' host Luke Bryan on big stage: 'It's fun to have a touch of anxiety'
- 'Orphan Black' star Tatiana Maslany says fan love is 'like fuel for us'
- 'The Messengers' premiere: Heaven or hell?
- Casting Net: Ben Stiller confirms Penelope Cruz will be in 'Zoolander 2'
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Madonna's Cone Bra turns 25: How this Gaultier lingerie's legacy lingers
- Prince Harry, Christina Aguilera, Diane Kruger & More!