An elderly Kurdish musician persuades his two middle-aged sons to help him search for his ex-wife, endangered in wartorn Iraqi Kurdistan. Punctuations of lively music and unexpected humor elevate the journey, which is otherwise fraught with devastation – thievery, poverty, bombing, and death. Kurdish director Bahman Ghobadi brings the hopelessness of Saddam’s Iraq to life with authenticity and wit. EXTRAS Just one: In an extended interview, Ghobadi reveals that he lived with the three actors – real-life musicians who played at his sister’s wedding – for three months, and based much of the script on their personal stories. In doing so, he has created a fictional documentary of sorts, in which, he explains, ”the actors don’t act anymore. They just relive their lives in front of my camera.”
Marooned in Iraq An elderly Kurdish musician persuades his two middle-aged sons to help him search for his ex-wife, endangered in wartorn Iraqi Kurdistan. Punctuations...Marooned in IraqDrama, Foreign LanguageBahman GhobadiPT97MUnrated An elderly Kurdish musician persuades his two middle-aged sons to help him search for his ex-wife, endangered in wartorn Iraqi Kurdistan. Punctuations...2003-10-17Wellspring
Genre: Drama, Foreign Language; Starring: Shahab Ebrahimi, Iran Ghobadi; Director: Bahman Ghobadi; Author: Bahman Ghobadi; Runtime (in minutes): 97; MPAA Rating: Unrated; Distributor: Wellspring
Posted January 17 2015 — 4:48 AM EST
- 'The Messengers' premiere: Heaven or hell?
- Casting Net: Ben Stiller confirms Penelope Cruz will be in 'Zoolander 2'
- 'Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk' gets Veteran's Day 2016 release
- Five Broadway tickets to snag before Tony nominations make it impossible
- 'Star Wars': 5 revelations from Carrie Fisher at Celebration Q&A
- 'Batman v Superman' trailer is here; official release by Zack Snyder follows leak
- Never-before-seen passage from Madeleine L'Engle's 'A Wrinkle in Time' found
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Madonna's Cone Bra turns 25: How this Gaultier lingerie's legacy lingers
- Naomi Campbell, Jessica & Rosario, the Star Wars Cast & More