She was a paradox at Walt Disney’s golden-age animation factory: a gifted conceptual artist whose flat, abstract style Disney revered, but whose playful designs were often homogenized beyond recognition – or just ignored – by the male-dominated, realism-obsessed drafting staff. As animator Ward Kimball says, ”She would inspire people, but her drawings were bastardized.” Artistic justice is finally served in John Canemaker’s delightful The Art and Flair of Mary Blair: An Appreciation (Disney Editions, $40). Dozens of whimsical sketches and paintings Blair did for Cinderella, Alice in Wonderland (left), and Peter Pan prove her influence as a color stylist. She found her freest rein in overseeing the look of the World’s Fair attraction and eventual Disney theme-park ride ”It’s a Small World.” Just don’t blame her for that insipid song.
The Art and Flair of Mary Blair: An Appreciation She was a paradox at Walt Disney's golden-age animation factory: a gifted conceptual artist whose flat, abstract style Disney revered, but whose...The Art and Flair of Mary Blair: An AppreciationArt/Fine ArtJohn Canemaker She was a paradox at Walt Disney's golden-age animation factory: a gifted conceptual artist whose flat, abstract style Disney revered, but whose...2003-10-24
Genre: Art/Fine Art; Author: John Canemaker
Posted October 24 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Friends co-creator: Those $1 million cast salaries were 'ridiculous'
- See a clip from Lifetime's 'The Unauthorized Full House Story'
- NatGeo announces 'Big Game of Thrones,' admits HBO won't let them keep title
- Bryan Cranston’s 'Sneaky Pete' pilot picked up by Amazon
- Get haunted by trailer for 'The Listing'
- President Bill Clinton to appear on 'StarTalk' season 2 premiere
- Graceland sneak peek: Paige is going undercover with the Sarkissians
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- #50Scoops50Days: Keep up with the latest in fall TV news
- Ashley Madison profiles for TV's most famous adulterers
- Tyra Banks, The Madden Bros., Taylor Schilling & More!