Scottish crime scribe McDermid’s latest is an absorbing new addition to the growing childhood-friends-are-party-to-a-murder-and-haunted-by-it-forever genre. Four tight-knit lads happen upon a bloody corpse one boozy, snowy night. They become suspects; they’re never charged, but never cleared, either. And 25 years later, someone seeks revenge. ”Echo”’s first third grippingly tracks the psyche-shaping consequences of the crime among a host of characters. But what begins as a literary thriller – an English ”Mystic River” – settles into a mere whodunit, well-mounted but short on psychological richness and stuck with a disappointing denouement. McDermid plays a crafty hand of poker, but her final card will leave you thumbing through the deck, wondering if she cheated.
The Distant Echo Scottish crime scribe McDermid's latest is an absorbing new addition to the growing childhood-friends-are-party-to-a-murder-and-haunted-by-it-forever ...The Distant EchoMystery and Thriller, FictionVal McDermid Scottish crime scribe McDermid's latest is an absorbing new addition to the growing childhood-friends-are-party-to-a-murder-and-haunted-by-it-forever ...2003-10-24
Genre: Mystery and Thriller, Fiction; Author: Val McDermid
Posted October 24 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Empire': Lawsuit claims kids were mistreated during filming at youth detention center
- Classic album covers get the 'Star Wars' treatment
- 'Mr. Robot': Carly Chaikin on the big Darlene shocker
- Prince's Paisley Park estate will open for public tours in October
- 'Another Period': Natasha Leggero, Riki Lindhome on season finale
- Katie Ledecky throws out first pitch as Bryce Harper holds her medals
- 'Serial': Adnan Syed alibi witness shoots down attempts to discredit her
- Flashback to the 2001 'Summer Catch' Premiere
- Fall Movie Preview 2016: 'Fantastic Beasts,' 'Rogue One,' and 76 Other Films
- Flashback to the 1996 MTV Video Music Awards
- See All of EW's Fall Movie Preview Covers
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your comedy nominees are...
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your drama nominees are...