In Caryl Phillips’ powerful seventh novel, A Distant Shore, the West Indian-born, British-bred author presents a Greek tragedy set in modern England. Solomon is an African immigrant fleeing his unnamed war-torn country. Dorothy is a white retired music teacher fleeing her scandalous past. In alternating narratives, Phillips (Cambridge) unravels the appalling events that bring Solomon and Dorothy to the same anonymous village. Before the two have a chance to seek solace in each other’s company, though, a senseless act of violence shatters both lives. While critiquing Britain’s current racial climate, ”Shore” offers storytelling both raw and heartbreaking.
A Distant ShoreIn Caryl Phillips' powerful seventh novel, A Distant Shore, the West Indian-born, British-bred author presents a Greek tragedy set in modern...A Distant ShoreFictionCaryl PhillipsIn Caryl Phillips' powerful seventh novel, A Distant Shore, the West Indian-born, British-bred author presents a Greek tragedy set in modern...2003-10-24Knopf
Genre: Fiction; Author: Caryl Phillips; Publisher: Knopf
Posted October 24 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Arthur Conan Doyle's estate is suing Miramax over 'Mr. Holmes'
- A$AP Rocky and Schoolboy Q shock with 'Electric Body'
- Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen aren't returning for Netflix's 'Fuller House'
- Two more (unofficial) Drake songs leak, including Tinashe collaboration
- Bask in '90s nostalgia with this a ca-mazing 'Boy Meets World' medley
- Eminem to executive produce 'Southpaw' soundtrack: Hear a sneak peek of his new song
- Michael B. Jordan: Why I'm Torching the color line in 'Fantastic Four'
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion (so far)
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- Summer Music Preview 2015: 10 hottest tours
- Marion Cotillard, Jason Derulo, Serena Williams and More!