In Caryl Phillips’ powerful seventh novel, A Distant Shore, the West Indian-born, British-bred author presents a Greek tragedy set in modern England. Solomon is an African immigrant fleeing his unnamed war-torn country. Dorothy is a white retired music teacher fleeing her scandalous past. In alternating narratives, Phillips (Cambridge) unravels the appalling events that bring Solomon and Dorothy to the same anonymous village. Before the two have a chance to seek solace in each other’s company, though, a senseless act of violence shatters both lives. While critiquing Britain’s current racial climate, ”Shore” offers storytelling both raw and heartbreaking.
A Distant ShoreIn Caryl Phillips' powerful seventh novel, A Distant Shore, the West Indian-born, British-bred author presents a Greek tragedy set in modern...A Distant ShoreFictionCaryl PhillipsIn Caryl Phillips' powerful seventh novel, A Distant Shore, the West Indian-born, British-bred author presents a Greek tragedy set in modern...2003-10-24Knopf
Genre: Fiction; Author: Caryl Phillips; Publisher: Knopf
Posted January 17 2015 — 4:48 AM EST
- 'Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt' breakout Tituss Burgess on his alter ego (and 'Pinot Noir')
- Robert Kirkman reveals 'Walking Dead' companion series will be called...
- 9 plotlines you didn't realize started in the 'Grey's Anatomy' pilot
- Chill your way into the weekend with DADRAS's 'RUBAIYAT I' EP -- exclusive
- NBC orders Ellen DeGeneres-produced reality series 'First Dates'
- Downton Abbey producer explains why the series had to end
- 'Big Bang Theory' star Jim Parsons talks animated film debut, co-star Rihanna and his hometown
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Double trouble: Movie/TV characters who fight themselves
- Patricia Field on 5 costume gigs before she got 'Younger'
- 'Game of Thrones' London premiere: Red carpet style
- Katy Perry, Kenny & Taylor, Josh Peck and More!