The title means a miscellaneous collection, and that’s what playwrights Theresa Rebeck and Alexandra Gersten-Vassilaros have crafted. By turns a brittle comedy, existential drama, and paean to haute cuisine, ”Omnium” gathers assorted stereotypes – a conservative Tom Clancyish writer, a Martha Stewart-like hostess, et cetera – at a post-9/11 dinner party where they, inevitably, clash and burn. (Think Sartre’s ”No Exit,” but with better food.) There’s a lot of holier-than-thou ranting – Israel, Iraq, even The New York Times gets taken apart. But it’s the rarer, quiet moments that ring true: two men sharing a toast; an improbable ode to creme brulee; a dim-witted fireman recalling with disarming eloquence the day ”death came down on all of us.” After that, the histrionics seem superfluous.
Omnium Gatherum The title means a miscellaneous collection, and that's what playwrights Theresa Rebeck and Alexandra Gersten-Vassilaros have crafted. By turns a...Omnium GatherumAlexandra Gersten-Vassilaros, Theresa Rebeck The title means a miscellaneous collection, and that's what playwrights Theresa Rebeck and Alexandra Gersten-Vassilaros have crafted. By turns a...2003-10-24
Director: Will Frears; Author: Alexandra Gersten-Vassilaros, Theresa Rebeck; Opening Date: 09/25/2003
Posted October 24 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Chicago Med' has two new showrunners
- Fox changes name of its new series 'The Frankenstein Code'
- Chaka Khan set for 'Dancing With the Stars'
- Why Wayne Brady freaked out at the chance to play drag queen Lola in 'Kinky Boots'
- 'American Dad!' renewed for two seasons
- Nicki Minaj will open the MTV VMAs on Sunday
- Miley Cyrus addresses Nicki Minaj's VMAs comments in new interview
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Miley Cyrus, Taylor & Selena, The Voice Crew & More!