The title means a miscellaneous collection, and that’s what playwrights Theresa Rebeck and Alexandra Gersten-Vassilaros have crafted. By turns a brittle comedy, existential drama, and paean to haute cuisine, ”Omnium” gathers assorted stereotypes – a conservative Tom Clancyish writer, a Martha Stewart-like hostess, et cetera – at a post-9/11 dinner party where they, inevitably, clash and burn. (Think Sartre’s ”No Exit,” but with better food.) There’s a lot of holier-than-thou ranting – Israel, Iraq, even The New York Times gets taken apart. But it’s the rarer, quiet moments that ring true: two men sharing a toast; an improbable ode to creme brulee; a dim-witted fireman recalling with disarming eloquence the day ”death came down on all of us.” After that, the histrionics seem superfluous.
Omnium Gatherum The title means a miscellaneous collection, and that's what playwrights Theresa Rebeck and Alexandra Gersten-Vassilaros have crafted. By turns a...Omnium GatherumAlexandra Gersten-Vassilaros, Theresa Rebeck The title means a miscellaneous collection, and that's what playwrights Theresa Rebeck and Alexandra Gersten-Vassilaros have crafted. By turns a...2003-10-24
Director: Will Frears; Author: Alexandra Gersten-Vassilaros, Theresa Rebeck; Opening Date: 09/25/2003
Posted January 17 2015 — 4:48 AM EST
- 'Outlander' boss Ronald Moore talks Geillis reveal, Claire's shocking choice
- 'Orphan Black' creators on series' sexy, surreal return
- Tatiana Maslany on 'Orphan Black' return, and 'totally changing up what people were going to expect'
- Jonathan Crombie, seen as Gilbert Blythe in 'Anne of Green Gables' films, dies at 48
- Johnny Kemp, 'Just Got Paid' singer, dies
- Star Wars Celebration: Jakku, BB-8 and other key takeaways about 'The Force Awakens'
- Two generations of heroes meet in new 'Star Wars Rebels' trailer
- 'Star Wars' fans take Anaheim: Celebration photos
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Prince Harry, Christina Aguilera, Diane Kruger & More!