Long before there were soccer moms, there were Little League dads. And anyone who’s been around kids’ baseball – or who’s seen the ”Bad News Bears” movies – will recognize the coaches whose philosophies clash in this endearing play by Richard Dresser (”Below the Belt”). Don (Robert Clohessy) is a jock who spits a lot and believes having fun translates to ”one word…winning.” Dweebish Michael (Matthew Arkin) wants to give the kids a ”place of nurturing.” The characters are simply drawn and the acting is best when they engage in snappy baseball-as-metaphor banter. The play becomes less compelling, even maudlin, when real life creeps in (woman trouble, a rebellious son). All in all, as Michael says of a ball game, ”win or lose, it’s not a bad afternoon in the park.”
Rounding Third Long before there were soccer moms, there were Little League dads. And anyone who's been around kids' baseball -- or who's seen the ''Bad News Bears''...Rounding Third Long before there were soccer moms, there were Little League dads. And anyone who's been around kids' baseball -- or who's seen the ''Bad News Bears''...2003-10-24
Starring: Matthew Arkin, Robert Clohessy; Director: John Rando; Opening Date: 10/07/2003
Posted October 24 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Original Mickey Mouse Club to reunite at Disney's D23
- Apple's appeal denied in ebook antitrust case
- 'Creed': Watch the first trailer for the 'Rocky' spinoff
- Apple's Beats 1 radio will be censoring music
- How do Ant-Man and Guardians of the Galaxy compare?
- Watch out, Frank and Claire: Neve Campbell joins 'House of Cards'
- Taylor Towsend will play Julie Cooper in 'The O.C. Musical'
- 27 TV faves you forgot were in 'Seinfeld' episodes
- 'X-Files' returns: David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson in new EW portraits
- Comic-Con 2005: How buzziest projects panned out
- 'Survivor' cast thanks YOU for Second Chances in new pics
- 'Ant-Man': 7 EW exclusive new character posters
- Ricky Martin, Tina & Jane, Paul Rudd and More!