This meticulously reported and compelling look at Enron’s demise explores a company where ethics was a dirty word and ”greed the greatest motivator.” Enron’s top executives are so rapacious they make Gordon Gekko look like an altruist: The brilliant but arrogant president Jeff Skilling surrounded himself with ”egomaniacs, social misfits and backstabbers,” while CFO Andrew Fastow allegedly hid losses from questionable transactions in a web of byzantine accounting practices. McLean and Elkind (senior writers at EW sister magazine FORTUNE) make a convincing case that Enron’s misdeeds were abetted by weaselly outside accountants and sycophantic investment analysts. Though the book sometimes gets bogged down in jargon (”securitization”) and lengthy descriptions of ponderous negotiations, ”Guys” emerges as a cautionary tale about highfliers who weren’t as clever as they thought.
The Smartest Guys in the Room This meticulously reported and compelling look at Enron's demise explores a company where ethics was a dirty word and ''greed the greatest motivator.'...The Smartest Guys in the RoomNonfictionPeter Elkind, Bethany McLean This meticulously reported and compelling look at Enron's demise explores a company where ethics was a dirty word and ''greed the greatest motivator.'...2003-10-24
Genre: Nonfiction; Author: Peter Elkind, Bethany McLean
Posted January 17 2015 — 4:48 AM EST
- Pixar's 'Inside Out' peek: Joy has a special job for Sadness on first day at a new school
- ACM Awards' host Luke Bryan on big stage: 'It's fun to have a touch of anxiety'
- 'Orphan Black' star Tatiana Maslany says fan love is 'like fuel for us'
- 'The Messengers' premiere: Heaven or hell?
- Casting Net: Ben Stiller confirms Penelope Cruz will be in 'Zoolander 2'
- 'Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk' gets Veteran's Day 2016 release
- Five Broadway tickets to snag before Tony nominations make it impossible
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Madonna's Cone Bra turns 25: How this Gaultier lingerie's legacy lingers
- Olivia Wilde, Brad Paisley, Brandy Norwood & More!