Of all the atrocities depicted in Shah’s eye-opening memoir about the horrors and subtle beauties of Afghanistan, this one is the most memorable: ”The locals had posted up a warning to America: ‘We yearn for death more than you yearn for life.”’ Born in England, journalist Shah grew up on her Afghan father’s folklore from his homeland. She sets out to find that wonderland – and to understand the gritty truth about the mountainous country. (Her acclaimed 2001 documentary ”Beneath the Veil” focused on women’s plight under the Taliban.) She is frostbitten and scared. She is disgusted by photojournalists who, after Sept. 11, encourage rebels to wave anti-American propaganda. Traversing a place where women think the birth control pill is a myth, she concludes: ”One person’s reality is another person’s wild legend.”
The Storyteller's Daughter Of all the atrocities depicted in Shah's eye-opening memoir about the horrors and subtle beauties of Afghanistan, this one is the most memorable: '...The Storyteller's DaughterSaira Shah Of all the atrocities depicted in Shah's eye-opening memoir about the horrors and subtle beauties of Afghanistan, this one is the most memorable: '...2003-10-24
Author: Saira Shah
Posted January 17 2015 — 4:48 AM EST
- 'Outlander' boss Ronald Moore talks Geillis reveal, Claire's shocking choice
- 'Orphan Black' creators on series' sexy, surreal return
- Tatiana Maslany on 'Orphan Black' return, and 'totally changing up what people were going to expect'
- Jonathan Crombie, seen as Gilbert Blythe in 'Anne of Green Gables' films, dies at 48
- Johnny Kemp, 'Just Got Paid' singer, dies
- Star Wars Celebration: Jakku, BB-8 and other key takeaways about 'The Force Awakens'
- Two generations of heroes meet in new 'Star Wars Rebels' trailer
- 'Star Wars' fans take Anaheim: Celebration photos
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Prince Harry, Christina Aguilera, Diane Kruger & More!