Director Rob Schmidt calls Wrong Turn ”a ’70s-style horror film like The Hills Have Eyes or Texas Chainsaw Massacre.” He wishes. Sure, Schmidt follows the form, stranding six interchangeable twentysomethings in the woods, then bringing in some deformed cannibals to carve them up. But there’s not a surprising – or scary – moment in his rote film. By contrast, 28 Days Later an end-of-civilization thriller about a handful of ”uninfected” people staving off the murderous victims of a man-made ”rage” virus, features tough, vulnerable characters to root for and echoes old faves like The Day of the Triffids and The Omega Man. Where Wrong Turn lamely goes through the motions of the horror genre, 28 Days Later provocatively transcends it. EXTRAS A making-of doc and ”Fresh Meat: The Wounds of Wrong Turn,” featuring outtakes of a barbed-wire garroting; 28 Days Later director Danny Boyle’s much-discussed alternate ending – plus two more! Wrong Turn: D+ 28 Days Later: A-
Genre: Sci-fi and Fantasy, Mystery and Thriller; Starring: Naomie Harris, Noah Huntley, Cillian Murphy, Megan Burns, Christopher Eccleston, Brendan Gleeson; Director: Danny Boyle; Author: Alex Garland; Release Date Wide: 06/27/2003; Runtime (in minutes): 108; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Fox Searchlight Pictures
Posted October 24 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- See the full 'Uncharted 4' behind-closed-doors E3 demo
- Unauthorized Melrose Place Story in the works from Lifetime
- 'Agent Carter' Comic-Con poster, season 2 hints revealed: Peggy lands in Hollywood
- ABC reviving 'To Tell The Truth'
- Robert Downey Jr., Paul Thomas Anderson nearing 'Pinocchio' remake deal
- Michael Keaton, J.K. Simmons exit 'Kong'
- Spring Awakening returning to Broadway—in sign language
- 27 TV faves you forgot were in 'Seinfeld' episodes
- 'X-Files': David Duchovny, Gillian Anderson portraits
- Comic-Con 2005: How buzziest projects panned out
- 'Survivor' cast thanks YOU for Second Chances in new pics
- 'Ant-Man': 7 EW exclusive new character posters
- Beyoncé, LL Cool J, Taylor Swift & More!