Director Rob Schmidt calls Wrong Turn ”a ’70s-style horror film like The Hills Have Eyes or Texas Chainsaw Massacre.” He wishes. Sure, Schmidt follows the form, stranding six interchangeable twentysomethings in the woods, then bringing in some deformed cannibals to carve them up. But there’s not a surprising – or scary – moment in his rote film. By contrast, 28 Days Later an end-of-civilization thriller about a handful of ”uninfected” people staving off the murderous victims of a man-made ”rage” virus, features tough, vulnerable characters to root for and echoes old faves like The Day of the Triffids and The Omega Man. Where Wrong Turn lamely goes through the motions of the horror genre, 28 Days Later provocatively transcends it. EXTRAS A making-of doc and ”Fresh Meat: The Wounds of Wrong Turn,” featuring outtakes of a barbed-wire garroting; 28 Days Later director Danny Boyle’s much-discussed alternate ending – plus two more! Wrong Turn: D+ 28 Days Later: A-
Genre: Sci-fi and Fantasy, Mystery and Thriller; Starring: Naomie Harris, Noah Huntley, Cillian Murphy, Megan Burns, Christopher Eccleston, Brendan Gleeson; Director: Danny Boyle; Author: Alex Garland; Release Date Wide: 06/27/2003; Runtime (in minutes): 108; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Fox Searchlight Pictures
Posted January 17 2015 — 4:48 AM EST
- 'Star Wars' Celebration panel on 'Rogue One' and other stand-alones: We're live blogging it
- 'Furious 7' holds off 'Paul Blart' to win box office for third weekend in a row
- Victoria Justice breaks news to fans on Twitter: 'Eye Candy' canceled by MTV
- Jon Stewart explains why he quit 'The Daily Show'
- Jason Sudeikis on present (two Tribeca films), past ('SNL'), and future ('Fletch'?)
- 'Outlander' boss on Geillis reveal, Claire's shocking choice
- 'Orphan Black' creators on series' sexy, surreal return
- 'Star Wars' fans take Anaheim: Celebration photos
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Kellie Pickler, Julia Roberts, Taylor Swift & More!