Talk about drawing power. In the movie ”School of Rock,” Jack Black uses a large blackboard diagram to educate his young charges about the history of rock & roll. The complex chalk time line receives only a few seconds of screen time, but it took director Richard Linklater and production designer Jeremy Conway two weeks to sketch it out. ”Making that board was one of those ideas I had from the very beginning,” says Linklater. ”But, oh, God, once I finally got there, I realized it was a really daunting task.” The pair’s music map covered an entire blackboard, but just a portion appears in the film, during a montage of classroom shots. Still, it’s an ambitious attempt at pop pedagogy, going all the way back to proto-rock icons like Ike Turner and encompassing obscure Linklater faves like the Butthole Surfers. Being a music obsessive, the director needed only a few reference books to research his history lesson, though he did solicit input from the cast. Unsurprisingly, Black was tenacious about including Ronnie James Dio, the metal screamer beloved by his band, Tenacious D. As Linklater points out, ”Jack can be pretty, uh…definitive.”
(The School of Rock: Andrew Schwartz)
Posted January 17 2015 — 4:48 AM EST
- Patrick Stewart is a coke-fueled cable news host in 'Blunt Talk' teaser
- Jake Gyllenhaal plays a down-on-his-luck boxer in 'Southpaw' trailer
- 'Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt' breakout Tituss Burgess on his alter ego (and 'Pinot Noir')
- Robert Kirkman reveals 'Walking Dead' companion series will be called...
- 9 plotlines you didn't realize started in the 'Grey's Anatomy' pilot
- Chill your way into the weekend with DADRAS's 'RUBAIYAT I' EP -- exclusive
- NBC orders Ellen DeGeneres-produced reality series 'First Dates'
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Double trouble: Movie/TV characters who fight themselves
- Patricia Field on 5 costume gigs before she got 'Younger'
- 'Game of Thrones' London premiere: Red carpet style
- Katy Perry, Kenny & Taylor, Josh Peck and More!