When he sings ”Everybody needs a shirt,” Ron Fountenberry could just be waxing ironic or edgy in a ”Vice” magazine-reading hipster kind of way. After all, he did recruit proto-smirker Beck’s drummer Joey Waronker to produce BECOME THE SOFT LIGHTES (Ultimatum), the second full-length by his band THE INCREDIBLE MOSES LEROY. And Miho Hatori, ever the fallback vocalist of snarky fringer Dan the Automator, does make a guest appearance. But if Fountenberry is funning, you can’t tell from the wistful, unadorned way in which he pines over past loves. In fact, there isn’t a single discernible crack in Fountenberry’s precious poker face, even as he croons sugary sentiments such as ”It’s like starry warm nights, kittens with mittens.” What’s more, like fellow mellow singer-songwriter Sondre Lerche, he makes this sweet pap palatable with subtle keys and acoustics, and enough uptempo drum-machine action to keep your head nodding even as your teeth are rotting.
Become the Soft Lightes When he sings ''Everybody needs a shirt,'' Ron Fountenberry could just be waxing ironic or edgy in a ''Vice'' magazine-reading hipster kind of way....Become the Soft LightesRock When he sings ''Everybody needs a shirt,'' Ron Fountenberry could just be waxing ironic or edgy in a ''Vice'' magazine-reading hipster kind of way....2003-10-31
Genre: Rock; Producer (group): Ultimatum
Posted October 31 2003 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Vikings' shocker: Creator Michael Hirst talks the death of [spoiler]
- 'Vikings' kills again: A talk with the departing actor
- Casting Net: Viola Davis, Catalina Sandino Moreno star in 'Custody'
- Obama talks 'The Wire' with David Simon
- Warner Bros wins bid for rights to viral 'Sundays' short
- Oscar producers Meron, Zadan moving on
- Craig T. Nelson back as Hayden Fox in NBC 'Coach' revival
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Double trouble: Movie/TV characters who fight themselves
- Patricia Field on 5 costume gigs before she got 'Younger'
- 'Game of Thrones' London premiere: Red carpet style
- Best ‘DWTS’ champ? A (non-scientific) power ranking
- T.I. & Kevin, Jon Hamm, Olivia & Jason and More!