When he sings ”Everybody needs a shirt,” Ron Fountenberry could just be waxing ironic or edgy in a ”Vice” magazine-reading hipster kind of way. After all, he did recruit proto-smirker Beck’s drummer Joey Waronker to produce BECOME THE SOFT LIGHTES (Ultimatum), the second full-length by his band THE INCREDIBLE MOSES LEROY. And Miho Hatori, ever the fallback vocalist of snarky fringer Dan the Automator, does make a guest appearance. But if Fountenberry is funning, you can’t tell from the wistful, unadorned way in which he pines over past loves. In fact, there isn’t a single discernible crack in Fountenberry’s precious poker face, even as he croons sugary sentiments such as ”It’s like starry warm nights, kittens with mittens.” What’s more, like fellow mellow singer-songwriter Sondre Lerche, he makes this sweet pap palatable with subtle keys and acoustics, and enough uptempo drum-machine action to keep your head nodding even as your teeth are rotting.
Become the Soft Lightes When he sings ''Everybody needs a shirt,'' Ron Fountenberry could just be waxing ironic or edgy in a ''Vice'' magazine-reading hipster kind of way....Become the Soft LightesRock When he sings ''Everybody needs a shirt,'' Ron Fountenberry could just be waxing ironic or edgy in a ''Vice'' magazine-reading hipster kind of way....2003-10-31
Genre: Rock; Producer (group): Ultimatum
Posted October 31 2003 — 12:00 AM EST
- USA Women win soccer's World Cup: Celebs on Twitter say...
- 'Penny Dreadful' showrunner's postmortem on season finale: 'I’m just very proud of it'
- Kate Hudson gets patriotic, belts out the national anthem on Instagram
- 'Dukes of Hazzard' costar: TV Land wrong
- Keke Palmer previews 'Scream Queens'
- Empire State Building jams out to Grateful Dead with synchronized July 4 light show
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- Rumer & Khloé, Usher, Cara Delevingne & More!