Two documentaries use the form in very different ways – one far-ranging, the other intimate. ”Amandla! A Revolution in Four-Part Harmony” (PG-13, 103 mins., 2002, Artisan) charts the pivotal role of protest music in black South Africans’ struggle against apartheid using interviews with activists, political exiles, and even former riot police, plus, always, the music – at turns cheerful, defiant, and mournful. ”Blind Spot: Hitler’s Secretary” (PG, 87 mins., 2002, Sony Pictures Classics), meanwhile, has a woman simply facing the camera to, well, face her past; recounting memories both banal and chilling, she ultimately must ask herself if being ”unaware” made her any less culpable. The films couldn’t be less alike: The first – the title means ”power” in Xhosa – offers an awe-inspiring revolution in which music was a weapon of intimidation, resistance, and hope; the second, an extremely personal meditation on guilt. But both illustrate the documentary form’s ability to make history vivid. EXTRAS Amandla!: A Q&A with the filmmakers, their commentary, and a brief chat with South African pop star Dave Matthews are less compelling than the additional interview footage and a spine-tingling concert by activist musician Vusi ”The Voice” Mahlasela. A- Hitler’s Secretary: None.
Blind Spot: Hitler's Secretary Two documentaries use the form in very different ways -- one far-ranging, the other intimate. ''Amandla! A Revolution in Four-Part Harmony'' (PG-13,...Blind Spot: Hitler's SecretaryHistorical, DocumentaryPT90MPG Two documentaries use the form in very different ways -- one far-ranging, the other intimate. ''Amandla! A Revolution in Four-Part Harmony'' (PG-13,...2003-10-31Sony Pictures Classics
Genre: Historical, Documentary; Starring: Traudl Junge; Director: Andre Heller, Othmar Schmiderer; Runtime (in minutes): 90; MPAA Rating: PG; Distributor: Sony Pictures Classics
Posted October 31 2003 — 12:00 AM EST
- A$AP Rocky's 'At.Long.Last.A$AP' to drop at midnight
- Even Taylor Swift's mom thought it was 'Starbucks lovers'
- Two of B.B. King's daughters allege father was poisoned by employees
- Hear Icona Pop's new single 'Emergency'
- 'It' on hold; director Cary Fukunaga exits
- 'Jurassic World' director Colin Trevorrow dishes on deadly new dino Indominus Rex
- Drake: 'Madonna' out, 'Rihanna' in?
- 15 scary movies we saw as kids... that still haunt our nightmares
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Christina & Matt, Kendall Jenner, Jordin Sparks & More!