Two documentaries use the form in very different ways – one far-ranging, the other intimate. ”Amandla! A Revolution in Four-Part Harmony” (PG-13, 103 mins., 2002, Artisan) charts the pivotal role of protest music in black South Africans’ struggle against apartheid using interviews with activists, political exiles, and even former riot police, plus, always, the music – at turns cheerful, defiant, and mournful. ”Blind Spot: Hitler’s Secretary” (PG, 87 mins., 2002, Sony Pictures Classics), meanwhile, has a woman simply facing the camera to, well, face her past; recounting memories both banal and chilling, she ultimately must ask herself if being ”unaware” made her any less culpable. The films couldn’t be less alike: The first – the title means ”power” in Xhosa – offers an awe-inspiring revolution in which music was a weapon of intimidation, resistance, and hope; the second, an extremely personal meditation on guilt. But both illustrate the documentary form’s ability to make history vivid. EXTRAS Amandla!: A Q&A with the filmmakers, their commentary, and a brief chat with South African pop star Dave Matthews are less compelling than the additional interview footage and a spine-tingling concert by activist musician Vusi ”The Voice” Mahlasela. A- Hitler’s Secretary: None.
Blind Spot: Hitler's Secretary Two documentaries use the form in very different ways -- one far-ranging, the other intimate. ''Amandla! A Revolution in Four-Part Harmony'' (PG-13,...Blind Spot: Hitler's SecretaryHistorical, DocumentaryPT90MPG Two documentaries use the form in very different ways -- one far-ranging, the other intimate. ''Amandla! A Revolution in Four-Part Harmony'' (PG-13,...2003-10-31Sony Pictures Classics
Genre: Historical, Documentary; Starring: Traudl Junge; Director: Andre Heller, Othmar Schmiderer; Runtime (in minutes): 90; MPAA Rating: PG; Distributor: Sony Pictures Classics
Posted January 17 2015 — 4:48 AM EST
- 'Inside Out' clip: Joy has a special job for Sadness on the first day at a new school
- Host Luke Bryan on the ACM Awards' big stage: 'Certain people just really perform when the moment comes'
- 'Orphan Black' star Tatiana Maslany says fan love is 'like fuel for us'
- 'The Messengers' premiere: Heaven or hell?
- Casting Net: Ben Stiller confirms Penelope Cruz will be in 'Zoolander 2'
- 'Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk' gets Veteran's Day 2016 release
- Five Broadway tickets to snag before Tony nominations make it impossible
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Madonna's Cone Bra turns 25: How this Gaultier lingerie's legacy lingers
- Olivia Wilde, Brad Paisley, Brandy Norwood & More!