Two documentaries use the form in very different ways – one far-ranging, the other intimate. ”Amandla! A Revolution in Four-Part Harmony” (PG-13, 103 mins., 2002, Artisan) charts the pivotal role of protest music in black South Africans’ struggle against apartheid using interviews with activists, political exiles, and even former riot police, plus, always, the music – at turns cheerful, defiant, and mournful. ”Blind Spot: Hitler’s Secretary” (PG, 87 mins., 2002, Sony Pictures Classics), meanwhile, has a woman simply facing the camera to, well, face her past; recounting memories both banal and chilling, she ultimately must ask herself if being ”unaware” made her any less culpable. The films couldn’t be less alike: The first – the title means ”power” in Xhosa – offers an awe-inspiring revolution in which music was a weapon of intimidation, resistance, and hope; the second, an extremely personal meditation on guilt. But both illustrate the documentary form’s ability to make history vivid. EXTRAS Amandla!: A Q&A with the filmmakers, their commentary, and a brief chat with South African pop star Dave Matthews are less compelling than the additional interview footage and a spine-tingling concert by activist musician Vusi ”The Voice” Mahlasela. A- Hitler’s Secretary: None.
Blind Spot: Hitler's Secretary Two documentaries use the form in very different ways -- one far-ranging, the other intimate. ''Amandla! A Revolution in Four-Part Harmony'' (PG-13,...Blind Spot: Hitler's SecretaryHistorical, DocumentaryPT90MPG Two documentaries use the form in very different ways -- one far-ranging, the other intimate. ''Amandla! A Revolution in Four-Part Harmony'' (PG-13,...2003-10-31Sony Pictures Classics
Genre: Historical, Documentary; Starring: Traudl Junge; Director: Andre Heller, Othmar Schmiderer; Release Date Limited: 01/24/2003; Runtime (in minutes): 90; MPAA Rating: PG; Distributor: Sony Pictures Classics
Posted October 31 2003 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Chicago Med' has two new showrunners
- Fox changes name of its new series 'The Frankenstein Code'
- Chaka Khan set for 'Dancing With the Stars'
- Why Wayne Brady freaked out at the chance to play drag queen Lola in 'Kinky Boots'
- 'American Dad!' renewed for two seasons
- Nicki Minaj will open the MTV VMAs on Sunday
- Miley Cyrus addresses Nicki Minaj's VMAs comments in new interview
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Miley Cyrus, Taylor & Selena, The Voice Crew & More!