Captain America set out to prove he had more mettle than the chopper-cruisin’ anti-hero he portrayed in 1969’s ”Easy Rider,” and that’s just what Peter Fonda did with his hardly seen 1971 directorial debut – a simple, lyrical tale of loyalty, revenge, and redemption in the rugged 1880s West. A stoic drifter (Fonda, embodying ”ambiguity,” as he notes in the commentary) returns home after seven years, with his sidekick (Warren Oates), hoping to regain the favor of his emboldened wife (Verna Bloom). Despite its poetic use of montage and lush lens work by Vilmos Zsigmond (who later won an Oscar for ”Close Encounters of the Third Kind”), Hand was initially marketed as a jazzy actioner and played in U.S. theaters for only two weeks. But in Hamish McAlpine and original editor Frank Mazzola’s glorious restoration, Zsigmond’s New Mexican sunsets glow, Bruce Langhorne’s period soundtrack mesmerizes, and the cast’s raw performances prove Hand worthy of an encore. A EXTRAS Mostly the requisite stills and ads. Fonda gives a production breakdown in his commentary, but repeats some stories in a making-of doc. The most worthy feature is a deleted scene of young Larry ”J.R. Ewing” Hagman, playing a well-meaning sheriff.
The Hired Hand: Collector's Edition Captain America set out to prove he had more mettle than the chopper-cruisin' anti-hero he portrayed in 1969's ''Easy Rider,'' and that's just what...The Hired Hand: Collector's EditionWesternAlan SharpR Captain America set out to prove he had more mettle than the chopper-cruisin' anti-hero he portrayed in 1969's ''Easy Rider,'' and that's just what...2003-10-31Verna BloomAnn DoranVerna Bloom, Ann Doran
Genre: Western; Starring: Peter Fonda, Warren Oates, Verna Bloom, Ann Doran; Director: Peter Fonda; Author: Alan Sharp; MPAA Rating: R
Posted October 31 2003 — 12:00 AM EST
- Ed Sheeran sang 'Rainbow Connection' with Kermit the Frog and had the time of his life
- Watch Coldplay's hilarious 'Game of Thrones' musical
- 'Wayward Pines' exec producer Chad Hodge's post-show dish: Why (SPOILER) had to die
- Casting Net: Gabrielle Union heading to Jamie Foxx action film 'Sleepless Night'
- 'The View' eyeing two new cohosts?
- 'The Help' director Tate Taylor to helm 'Girl on the Train'
- Pete Davidson live tweets his 'Harry Potter' marathon, gives 'dope as f---' review
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion (so far)
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- Summer Music Preview 2015: 10 hottest tours
- Melissa McCarthy: Did you know she was in...?
- Kendall & Lily, Jon Bon Jovi, Chanel Iman and More!