Amid golf-club-polite compliments about the ”delightful” dinners, given by ”dear” friends in ”glorious” rooms, that have filled her social calendar between 1993, when her husband left the White House, and 2001, when her son moved in, Barbara Bush lashes out at two folks who, in Bush-speak, do evil: Saddam Hussein and ”New York Times” columnist Maureen Dowd, who gets even harsher judgment (”she sounds so bitter, so unhappy, so negative, so clever, and straining to be different”). That’s our Bar, who, now 78, continues to mow down enemies while reporting chirpy family news suitable for Christmas-card mass mailing. Her unreflective reflections include her review of ”L.A. Confidential,” which she disliked because ”it was all about ‘bad cops.’ I think ‘cops’ are good, and I hate for children to see them denigrated.” Unlike journalists.
Reflections: Life After the White House Amid golf-club-polite compliments about the ''delightful'' dinners, given by ''dear'' friends in ''glorious'' rooms, that have filled her social...Reflections: Life After the White HouseBarbara Bush Amid golf-club-polite compliments about the ''delightful'' dinners, given by ''dear'' friends in ''glorious'' rooms, that have filled her social...2003-10-31Scribner
Author: Barbara Bush; Publisher: Scribner
Posted October 31 2003 — 12:00 AM EST
- Abbi Jacobson is a 'Dreamgirl' in new 'Lip Sync Battle' clip
- Solve Agatha Christie mysteries with this simple formula
- See Doug Funnie sing 'Trap Queen'
- Amy Schumer joins Chuck Schumer for call to action on gun violence
- Marvel's 'Guardians of the Galaxy' get 'Hooked on a Feeling' in new promo
- 'The Walking Dead' star Andrew Lincoln on an 'astonishing' season 6
- That time Jon Stewart saved Bill Clinton from an awkward encounter
- Stars We Lost in 2015
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Sam Smith, Channing Tatum, Gwyneth Paltrow and More!