This hefty greatest-hits collection solidifies Bausch’s rep as a master of compact, closely observed vignettes of yearning and dislocation. Even windfalls – like sudden wealth or a new lover – can’t relieve the queasy sense of impending disaster that lurks in everyday exchanges between intimates. In ”Riches,” a young man’s lottery jackpot becomes a catalyst for personal and familial unraveling, while in ”Valor,” a drunk’s heroic rescue of children trapped in a burning school bus doesn’t prevent his wife from moving out later the same morning. Traditional in structure and subject matter, Bausch’s stories operate on a heartrendingly human scale. Spare, naturalistic dialogue imbues his characters with a quiet nobility as they struggle to extract themselves from ”the usual awkward position of not knowing what was expected, how [to] proceed.”
The Stories of Richard Bausch This hefty greatest-hits collection solidifies Bausch's rep as a master of compact, closely observed vignettes of yearning and dislocation. Even...The Stories of Richard BauschFictionRichard Bausch This hefty greatest-hits collection solidifies Bausch's rep as a master of compact, closely observed vignettes of yearning and dislocation. Even...2003-10-31HarperCollins
Genre: Fiction; Author: Richard Bausch; Publisher: HarperCollins
Posted October 31 2003 — 12:00 AM EST
- Spoilers: Alex Kingston returns to 'Doctor Who'
- Jeff Probst debates the use of challenge advantages on 'Survivor'
- 'DWTS': And the fall 2015 celebrities are ...
- Joanna Newsom reveals new record is 'different from anything I did in the past
- Kevin Gates charged with battery after kicking female fan
- Deadmau5 says 'We Are Your Friends' flop restored his faith in music
- 'Game of Thrones' may have added a 'Lucy' actor to season 6
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- Diane Kruger, Padma Lakshmi, Elle Fanning & More!