At 838 pages, John Updike’s comprehensive collection The Early Stories, 1953-1975 is initially intimidating – but ultimately satisfying. The oldest story is 1953’s ”Ace in the Hole,” composed while he was a Harvard senior. An unsentimental look at a young couple’s struggle with domestic and career disillusionment, ”Ace” demonstrates Updike’s masterful ability to find beauty in the mundane and foreshadows the emotional complexity of his later novels. It’s also good to see Updike’s Olinger stories, 11 thoughtful coming-of-age tales based on his Depression-era upbringing in rural Pennsylvania, back in print. Other gems include the wistful ”When Everyone Was Pregnant” and ”Eros Rampant” – both make thumbing through this hefty compilation worth the effort.
The Early Stories: 1953-1975At 838 pages, John Updike's comprehensive collection The Early Stories, 1953-1975 is initially intimidating -- but ultimately satisfying. The...The Early Stories: 1953-1975FictionJohn UpdikeAt 838 pages, John Updike's comprehensive collection The Early Stories, 1953-1975 is initially intimidating -- but ultimately satisfying. The...2003-11-07Knopf
Genre: Fiction; Author: John Updike; Publisher: Knopf
Posted November 7 2003 — 12:00 AM EST
- Panorama Day 2: Kendrick Lamar spreads the love in profound headlining set
- Comic-Con 2016 Day 3: See stars' cinemagraph portraits
- 'Hawaii Five-0' books Claire Forlani for recurring role
- WATCH: Danny McBride teases Neal's redemption on 'Vice Principals'
- Will Forte teases 'Last Man on Earth' season 3: 'New... Malibu... Death'
- Comic-Con 2016: 5 things to know from 'Riverdale' pilot
- WATCH: Sigourney Weaver thought she 'f---ed up' iconic 'Aliens' line
- EW Party at Comic-Con 2016: See Stars' Red Carpet Arrivals
- Comic-Con 2016: See the Best Cosplayers From Day 2
- 'The Dark Tower' Storybook Stephen King Fans are Dying to Get
- Comic-Con 2016 Star Portraits: Day 2
- Comic-Con 2016: Celebs at the Biggest Day 2 Panels
- 10 of the Best Moments From 'The Daily Show'