At 838 pages, John Updike’s comprehensive collection The Early Stories, 1953-1975 is initially intimidating – but ultimately satisfying. The oldest story is 1953’s ”Ace in the Hole,” composed while he was a Harvard senior. An unsentimental look at a young couple’s struggle with domestic and career disillusionment, ”Ace” demonstrates Updike’s masterful ability to find beauty in the mundane and foreshadows the emotional complexity of his later novels. It’s also good to see Updike’s Olinger stories, 11 thoughtful coming-of-age tales based on his Depression-era upbringing in rural Pennsylvania, back in print. Other gems include the wistful ”When Everyone Was Pregnant” and ”Eros Rampant” – both make thumbing through this hefty compilation worth the effort.
The Early Stories: 1953-1975At 838 pages, John Updike's comprehensive collection The Early Stories, 1953-1975 is initially intimidating -- but ultimately satisfying. The...The Early Stories: 1953-1975FictionJohn UpdikeAt 838 pages, John Updike's comprehensive collection The Early Stories, 1953-1975 is initially intimidating -- but ultimately satisfying. The...2003-11-07Knopf
Genre: Fiction; Author: John Updike; Publisher: Knopf
Posted November 7 2003 — 12:00 AM EST
- Krasinski & Corden recreate 'Pulp Fiction' in hilarious sketch
- What to Watch Thurs.: 'RuPaul's All Star Drag Race' changes the rules
- 'Empire lawsuit claims kids were mistreated during filming
- Classic album covers get the 'Star Wars' treatment
- 'Mr. Robot': Carly Chaikin on the big Darlene shocker
- Prince's Paisley Park estate will open for public tours in October
- 'Another Period': Natasha Leggero, Riki Lindhome on season finale
- Flashback to the 2001 'Summer Catch' Premiere
- Fall Movie Preview 2016: 'Fantastic Beasts,' 'Rogue One,' and 76 Other Films
- Flashback to the 1996 MTV Video Music Awards
- See All of EW's Fall Movie Preview Covers
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your comedy nominees are...
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your drama nominees are...