These two tributes rely on conceptual gimmickry – the Louvins’ homage is strictly duets; Dolly’s, just womenfolk – with mutually sterling results. Teaming legends ranging from James Taylor to the late Johnny Cash, brotherly ”Lovin”’ is a harmonic feast, even if spotlighting 32 lead vocals on 16 shortish tracks eventually makes the album feel like one big all-star medley. Parton’s even-better paean runs the Shania-to-Sinead gamut, with only Melissa Etheridge’s painful ”I Will Always Love You” misfiring. The ”Woman”liness commences with Alison Krauss making ”9 to 5” into startlingly funky bluegrass and ends with Meshell Ndegeocello turning ”Two Doors Down” into actual funk.
Just Because I'm a Woman: Songs of Dolly Parton These two tributes rely on conceptual gimmickry -- the Louvins' homage is strictly duets; Dolly's, just womenfolk -- with mutually sterling results....Just Because I'm a Woman: Songs of Dolly Parton These two tributes rely on conceptual gimmickry -- the Louvins' homage is strictly duets; Dolly's, just womenfolk -- with mutually sterling results....2003-11-07
Lead Performer: Various Artists; Producer (group): Sugar Hill
Posted November 7 2003 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Big Brother': Julie Chen answers our burning Qs
- See Nic Cage in his 'Superman Lives' costume
- Ava DuVernay decides not to direct 'Black Panther': 'We just didn't see eye to eye'
- LeBron James: Hollywood's newest MVP
- Know this week's pop culture news? Take EW's quiz to find out
- 10 celebrity memoirs to devour this summer
- Celebrate Independence Day with Steven Tyler's new country video
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- 26 TV faves you forgot were in 'Seinfeld' episodes
- Miranda Kerr, Ewan & Chiwetel, Karlie Kloss & More!