These two tributes rely on conceptual gimmickry – the Louvins’ homage is strictly duets; Dolly’s, just womenfolk – with mutually sterling results. Teaming legends ranging from James Taylor to the late Johnny Cash, brotherly ”Lovin”’ is a harmonic feast, even if spotlighting 32 lead vocals on 16 shortish tracks eventually makes the album feel like one big all-star medley. Parton’s even-better paean runs the Shania-to-Sinead gamut, with only Melissa Etheridge’s painful ”I Will Always Love You” misfiring. The ”Woman”liness commences with Alison Krauss making ”9 to 5” into startlingly funky bluegrass and ends with Meshell Ndegeocello turning ”Two Doors Down” into actual funk.
Just Because I'm a Woman: Songs of Dolly Parton These two tributes rely on conceptual gimmickry -- the Louvins' homage is strictly duets; Dolly's, just womenfolk -- with mutually sterling results....Just Because I'm a Woman: Songs of Dolly Parton These two tributes rely on conceptual gimmickry -- the Louvins' homage is strictly duets; Dolly's, just womenfolk -- with mutually sterling results....2003-11-07
Lead Performer: Various Artists; Producer (group): Sugar Hill
Posted November 7 2003 — 12:00 AM EST
- George R.R. Martin reveals which religion inspired that 'Game of Thrones' cult
- How 50 Cent's near-fatal shooting wound up being a key part of 'Power'
- 'Game of Thrones' showrunner on why those two paths crossed now: 'this just felt right'
- 'Veep': What's next for Selina Meyer and Tom James
- Anne Meara, veteran actress and half of Stiller and Meara comedy team, dies at 85
- David Letterman tribute on Indy 500 car
- Cannes 2015: 'Dheepan' wins Palme d'Or
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- George & Amal, the Rock, Anne Hathaway & More!