History, they say, repeats itself. One look at the potential blockbusters in store for the 2003 holiday season proves it. So on the following pages, we examine how Hollywood has pilfered the past: Julia Roberts hearkens back to the Eisenhower era for ”Mona Lisa Smile,” Peter Weir directs the 19th-century epic ”Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World,” and our trove of set deconstructions includes a trip back to 1870s Japan for Tom Cruise’s ”The Last Samurai.” Ben Affleck, on the other hand, focuses on his future, including his new sci-fi thriller ”Paycheck.” Back in the here and now, Diane Keaton reunites with Jack Nicholson in the romance ”Something’s Gotta Give,” while three actresses (Evan Rachel Wood, Scarlett Johansson, and Ludivine Sagnier) redefine the role of ingenue. And don’t forget our trusty Oscar Watch and a calendar listing all new releases. Now those are dates to remember.
Posted November 14 2003 — 12:00 AM EST
- Penn & Teller reveal the craziest tricks from their upcoming Broadway show
- Kelly Rowland at Essence Fest previews BET series to find next great girl group
- The Nathan's Hot Dog Eating contest crowned a new champion on July 4
- Michael Douglas' mother dies at 92
- Hello Kitty movie targeted for 2019
- 'Suicide Squad' on-set photo: Harley Quinn birthday cake for Margot Robbie
- Caitlyn Jenner 'proud to be an American'
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- Garcelle Beauvais, Kylie Jenner, Serena Williams & More!