At L.A.’s Spring 2004 Fashion Week (hosted by Mercedes-Benz and Smashbox Studios Oct. 26-31) designers’ inspiration seemed a touch more strip club than supper club. Lingerie was the focus of Jaime Pressly’s J’aime show, Nicole Richie flashed photogs at Joey and T, and Tommy Lee waved money at Ashley Paige’s scantily clad models. ”L.A. Fashion Week is different because it’s fun,” says Pressly. ”They take the stuffiness and the snootiness out of it.” Others were a bit taken aback by the raciness: ”I knew they weren’t going to get naked naked,” says J’aime attendee Gabrielle Union. ”But they revealed a lot more than I thought.” Perhaps the most over-the-top spectacle was at Jeremy Scott, which featured models like Paris Hilton cavorting on poles for an event titled ”Sexibition.” Luckily, other designers like Richard Tyler, Louis Verdad, and Jennifer Nicholson (yes, daughter of Jack) left some things to the imagination. ”It’s very classy, and it’s very sexy, without being hoochie,” says Jerry O’Connell, who took in Richard Tyler’s show. ”Hoochie is now a fashion term that I’ve coined, by the way.” (Additional reporting by Carrie Kravetz and Robin Tolkan)
Posted November 14 2003 — 12:00 AM EST
- Bill Murray is getting his own Netflix Christmas special
- Margaret Atwood talks Twitter Fiction and near-genius hashtags
- 'Hunger Games' photo portraits: EW exclusive First Look at upcoming book
- Keanu Reeves gets terrorized in new 'Knock Knock' trailer
- TLC airs '19 Kids and Counting' marathon after Josh Duggar child molestation allegations
- 'Tomorrowland' production designer on how to build a futuristic city from yesterday's dreams
- Jimmy Fallon and Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson give a commencement speech... in 1989
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion (so far)
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- Summer Music Preview 2015: 10 hottest tours
- Melissa McCarthy: Did you know she was in...?
- Kendall & Lily, Jon Bon Jovi, Chanel Iman and More!