When Jenny fled Vienna with her family during World War II, she disowned her Jewish heritage and her homeland – but she can’t keep her memories buried when her daughter, Elizabeth, sets out to dig them up. We learn the family history through the alternating voices of mother and daughter: Jenny finally tells Elizabeth of her childhood under Nazi occupation, when her lifelong bitterness toward her professor father began. Elizabeth, meanwhile, recounts growing up in suburban Chicago, when her mother seemed distant and inaccessible. Through their recollections, we see how family minutiae (a preference for parquet floors, a taste for warm honey milk) can have deep emotional roots. By the end, the two narrative threads blend into one harmonious story, proving that while we can leave a country, we can’t escape our history.
In My Mother's House When Jenny fled Vienna with her family during World War II, she disowned her Jewish heritage and her homeland -- but she can't keep her memories...In My Mother's HouseFictionMargaret McMullan When Jenny fled Vienna with her family during World War II, she disowned her Jewish heritage and her homeland -- but she can't keep her memories...2003-11-14
Genre: Fiction; Author: Margaret McMullan
Posted November 14 2003 — 12:00 AM EST
- TV legend Norman Lear gives 6 strong opinions about American life
- 'Downton Abbey' cast on saying goodbye: 'We didn't want to leave'
- Zayn Malik congratulates One Direction on their ’sick’ new single
- Dr. Dre's new album, 'Compton,' coming Aug. 7
- 'Ghostbusters' cast surprises patients at Boston children's hospital
- Chris Pratt, James Gunn mark 'Guardians of the Galaxy's one-year anniversary
- Kelly Clarkson crushes cover of Miley Cyrus' ‘Wrecking Ball’
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- FKA Twigs, Adrian Grenier, Bethenny Frankel and More!