After being worked, reworked, and then some, the new Stephen Sondheim musical once known as ”Wise Guys,” then called ”Gold,” has finally arrived at D.C.’s Kennedy Center as ”Bounce.” And while it’s less than sublime, reports of its flaccidness have been greatly exaggerated. This true-life tale of the Mizner brothers (schemers who made and lost several fortunes at the turn of the last century) is a smart, breezy, globe-trotting celebration of pure American pluck. Sondheim’s songs may not be groundbreaking or spine-tingling, but they are warm, welcomely melodic throwbacks to earlier works like ”Merrily We Roll Along” and ”Saturday Night.” Eugene Lee’s vintage-postcard sets are sparse but clever. And the cast is funny and sharp, particularly Richard Kind (”Spin City”). ”Bounce” is a less cynical, less cerebral piece than we’d expect from the legendary team of Sondheim and director Hal Prince. But its spirit of resilience – its belief in ”bounce” – is undeniably contagious. (800-444-1324)
Bounce After being worked, reworked, and then some, the new Stephen Sondheim musical once known as ''Wise Guys,'' then called ''Gold,'' has finally arrived...BounceStephen Sondheim After being worked, reworked, and then some, the new Stephen Sondheim musical once known as ''Wise Guys,'' then called ''Gold,'' has finally arrived...2003-11-21
Starring: Richard Kind; Author: Stephen Sondheim
Posted January 17 2015 — 4:48 AM EST
- Rolling Stones to tour U.S., reissue 'Sticky Fingers'
- See Martha Stewart, Ron Burgundy and more show up to Justin Bieber roast
- Justified: Watch Raylan's 10 all-time best showdowns
- My Morning Jacket releases spacey "Spring (Among The Living)," second track off upcoming album
- Sequel to Stieg Larsson's Millennium series gets title and cover
- Robin Williams' widow and children agree to mediation over his estate
- Zayn Malik's first solo music leaks
- Will Ferrell's 15 greatest movie creations
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Tracee Ellis Ross, Hilary Duff, Scott Eastwood & More!