After being worked, reworked, and then some, the new Stephen Sondheim musical once known as ”Wise Guys,” then called ”Gold,” has finally arrived at D.C.’s Kennedy Center as ”Bounce.” And while it’s less than sublime, reports of its flaccidness have been greatly exaggerated. This true-life tale of the Mizner brothers (schemers who made and lost several fortunes at the turn of the last century) is a smart, breezy, globe-trotting celebration of pure American pluck. Sondheim’s songs may not be groundbreaking or spine-tingling, but they are warm, welcomely melodic throwbacks to earlier works like ”Merrily We Roll Along” and ”Saturday Night.” Eugene Lee’s vintage-postcard sets are sparse but clever. And the cast is funny and sharp, particularly Richard Kind (”Spin City”). ”Bounce” is a less cynical, less cerebral piece than we’d expect from the legendary team of Sondheim and director Hal Prince. But its spirit of resilience – its belief in ”bounce” – is undeniably contagious. (800-444-1324)
Bounce After being worked, reworked, and then some, the new Stephen Sondheim musical once known as ''Wise Guys,'' then called ''Gold,'' has finally arrived...BounceStephen Sondheim After being worked, reworked, and then some, the new Stephen Sondheim musical once known as ''Wise Guys,'' then called ''Gold,'' has finally arrived...2003-11-21
Starring: Richard Kind; Author: Stephen Sondheim
Posted November 21 2003 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Chicago Med' has two new showrunners
- Fox changes name of its new series 'The Frankenstein Code'
- Chaka Khan set for 'Dancing With the Stars'
- Why Wayne Brady freaked out at the chance to play drag queen Lola in 'Kinky Boots'
- 'American Dad!' renewed for two seasons
- Nicki Minaj will open the MTV VMAs on Sunday
- Miley Cyrus addresses Nicki Minaj's VMAs comments in new interview
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Emma Watson, Matt Damon, Helena Bonham Carter & More!