Though they’ve been writing songs since the early ’60s, Kander and Ebb reached new heights after ”Chicago” won the Oscar last March. Over the years, there were plenty of hits (”Cabaret,” ”Kiss of the Spider Woman”) and flops (the ironically titled ”Happy Time”). Longtime muse Liza Minnelli provides a glowing introduction to this frank, funny memoir, in which the pair dishes about stars like ”Liza With a Z” (as they dubbed her in song) and Frank Sinatra, who ”murdered everybody’s lyrics” – including Ebb’s for ”New York, New York.” While two 40-year careers could fill more than one book, ”Lights” is more illuminating than any ”Behind the Music.”
Colored Lights Though they've been writing songs since the early '60s, Kander and Ebb reached new heights after ''Chicago'' won the Oscar last March. Over the years,...Colored LightsFred Ebb, John Kander, Greg Lawrence Though they've been writing songs since the early '60s, Kander and Ebb reached new heights after ''Chicago'' won the Oscar last March. Over the years,...2003-11-21
Author: Fred Ebb, John Kander, Greg Lawrence
Posted November 21 2003 — 12:00 AM EST
- Now's your chance to see 'Mad Max: Fury Road' in IMAX theaters
- Obama to honor Stephen King, Sally Field with National Medals of Arts
- Queen Elizabeth is a huge fan of 'Downton Abbey'
- You can binge all of TNT's new show 'Public Morals' — only on Labor Day weekend
- New 'Batman v Superman' pics show Wonder Woman, the Batmobile
- 'Star Wars: Aftermath': Finding Han Solo for a quick galactic run
- Kanye West sends Taylor Swift flowers after the 2015 VMAs
- Force Friday: See Hasbro's 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' toys
- How three worlds collided for the Shondaland cast shoot: See the exclusive photos
- 8 most polarizing celebrities in 'Dancing With the Stars' history
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- Johnny Depp, Gabrielle Union, Karlie Kloss & More!