Though they’ve been writing songs since the early ’60s, Kander and Ebb reached new heights after ”Chicago” won the Oscar last March. Over the years, there were plenty of hits (”Cabaret,” ”Kiss of the Spider Woman”) and flops (the ironically titled ”Happy Time”). Longtime muse Liza Minnelli provides a glowing introduction to this frank, funny memoir, in which the pair dishes about stars like ”Liza With a Z” (as they dubbed her in song) and Frank Sinatra, who ”murdered everybody’s lyrics” – including Ebb’s for ”New York, New York.” While two 40-year careers could fill more than one book, ”Lights” is more illuminating than any ”Behind the Music.”
Colored Lights Though they've been writing songs since the early '60s, Kander and Ebb reached new heights after ''Chicago'' won the Oscar last March. Over the years,...Colored LightsFred Ebb, John Kander, Greg Lawrence Though they've been writing songs since the early '60s, Kander and Ebb reached new heights after ''Chicago'' won the Oscar last March. Over the years,...2003-11-21
Author: Fred Ebb, John Kander, Greg Lawrence
Posted January 17 2015 — 4:48 AM EST
- Casting Net: Courtney Love, Timothy Hutton, Giancarlo Esposito join James Franco's 'The Long Home'
- Nicki Minaj joins 'Barbershop 3' cast
- 'Forever' sneak peek: John Noble puts Henry to a test he nearly fails
- 'Late Show' sneak peek: President Obama, David Letterman make retirement plans
- 'The Flash': Iris confronts Barry with the truth
- Jada Pinkett Smith on Fish Mooney's fate as 'Gotham' wraps season 1
- Orlando Jones exits 'Sleepy Hollow'
- 'Pitch Perfect 2' costume designer's fashion notes
- Mourning after: Best TV episodes after a key character died
- NSYNC hair, revisited on 'It's Gonna Be May' meme day
- 'Outlander' sweats details so Lallybroch feels like home
- 'Grey's Anatomy': How 10 characters/actors exited the show
- Gisele Bündchen, Patrick Dempsey, Rosamund Pike & More!