How to lure fans who already own 1995’s ”Greatest Hits” into buying another, more expansive Bruce anthology? Tag on a limited-edition bonus disc of rarities dating back to ‘79. Sounds cynical, but guess what? The Essential Bruce Springsteen is less bloated and more rewarding than the ‘98 outtakes box, ”Tracks.” The frenetic ”Held Up Without a Gun,” the troubled ”Missing,” the wistful ”County Fair,” and the Asbury Park reminiscence ”None but the Brave” deserved rescue from the vaults. Except for a few duds (the field-holler version of ”Countin’ on a Miracle”), disc 3 is as engaging a ride as any through Springsteen’s ’80s peaks, ’90s valleys, and current rebirth.
The Essential Bruce SpringsteenHow to lure fans who already own 1995's ''Greatest Hits'' into buying another, more expansive Bruce anthology? Tag on a limited-edition bonus disc of...The Essential Bruce SpringsteenRockHow to lure fans who already own 1995's ''Greatest Hits'' into buying another, more expansive Bruce anthology? Tag on a limited-edition bonus disc of...2003-11-21
Genre: Rock; Lead Performer: Bruce Springsteen
Posted January 17 2015 — 4:48 AM EST
- Zayn Malik thanks One Direction at event
- Pixar's 'Inside Out' peek: Joy has a special job for Sadness on first day at a new school
- ACM Awards' host Luke Bryan on big stage: 'It's fun to have a touch of anxiety'
- 'Orphan Black' star Tatiana Maslany says fan love is 'like fuel for us'
- 'The Messengers' premiere: Heaven or hell?
- Casting Net: Ben Stiller confirms Penelope Cruz will be in 'Zoolander 2'
- 'Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk' gets Veteran's Day 2016 release
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Madonna's Cone Bra turns 25: How this Gaultier lingerie's legacy lingers
- Prince Harry, Christina Aguilera, Diane Kruger & More!