For some reason, California has become a center for funky musical archaeology; there’s the Now-Again and the Quannum labels, but Luv N’Haight has been the busiest. ”Funk & Soul” documents some supertight Bay Area also-rans from the days when neighbors like Sly and the Family Stone and Tower of Power were rocking seismic grooves. ”Arthur” Verocai is something else again – a lost slice of Brazilian psychedelic samba-pop from 1972 that shows hippie-era culture from another angle. AGE AIN’T NUTHIN’ BUT A NUMBER Sugar Pie DeSanto, whose ”Git Back” jump-starts Funk, is still rocking stages at the age of 68. You go, girl.
Arthur Verocai For some reason, California has become a center for funky musical archaeology; there's the Now-Again and the Quannum labels, but Luv N'Haight has been...Arthur Verocai For some reason, California has become a center for funky musical archaeology; there's the Now-Again and the Quannum labels, but Luv N'Haight has been...2003-11-21
Lead Performer: Arthur Verocai; Producer (group): Luv N'Haight
Posted November 21 2003 — 12:00 AM EST
- Kelly Rowland at Essence Fest previews BET series to find next great girl group
- The Nathan's Hot Dog Eating contest crowned a new champion on July 4
- Michael Douglas' mother dies at 92
- Hello Kitty movie targeted for 2019
- 'Suicide Squad' on-set photo: Harley Quinn birthday cake for Margot Robbie
- Caitlyn Jenner 'proud to be an American'
- Lil Wayne: 'Free Weezy Album' on Tidal
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- Garcelle Beauvais, Kylie Jenner, Serena Williams & More!