For some reason, California has become a center for funky musical archaeology; there’s the Now-Again and the Quannum labels, but Luv N’Haight has been the busiest. ”Funk & Soul” documents some supertight Bay Area also-rans from the days when neighbors like Sly and the Family Stone and Tower of Power were rocking seismic grooves. ”Arthur” Verocai is something else again – a lost slice of Brazilian psychedelic samba-pop from 1972 that shows hippie-era culture from another angle. AGE AIN’T NUTHIN’ BUT A NUMBER Sugar Pie DeSanto, whose ”Git Back” jump-starts Funk, is still rocking stages at the age of 68. You go, girl.
Arthur Verocai For some reason, California has become a center for funky musical archaeology; there's the Now-Again and the Quannum labels, but Luv N'Haight has been...Arthur Verocai For some reason, California has become a center for funky musical archaeology; there's the Now-Again and the Quannum labels, but Luv N'Haight has been...2003-11-21
Lead Performer: Arthur Verocai; Producer (group): Luv N'Haight
Posted November 21 2003 — 12:00 AM EST
- Ellen Page says her 'Freeheld' role inspired her to come out
- 'Brides of Dracula' series from 'Arrow' producer gets NBC pilot commitment
- 'SYTYCD' mentor blog: Travis Wall on why the judges 'floored' him this week
- Christina Applegate is a terrible Meryl Streep in Funny or Die's Lifetime spoof
- Wrestling legend Jimmy 'Superfly' Snuka charged in 1983 murder
- Meet Denise, Kermit the Frog's new love interest
- And the Oscar producing gig goes to...
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- Victoria Justice, Andrew & Laura, Rihanna and More!