Like Paula Frazer, Mark Kozelek fronted a Bay Area band – Red House Painters – that recorded dreamy, reverby Americana for the 4AD label back in the ’90s. This is the debut of his new band, which honestly isn’t too different from Painters: a bit more kick in the step, sure, a little more rooted to the earth, maybe, but still built around Kozelek’s fragile, slightly scuffed tenor, his taste for gleaming guitar architecture, and his exquisite sense of melody. The centerpiece is the 14-minute ”Duk Koo Kim,” our vote for best guitar epic of 2003 (sorry, Mars Volta). COUNTRY ROADS The Kozelek-produced ”Take Me Home: A Tribute to John Denver” (Badman Recording Co.) is more gorgeous than it has any right to be; it just might change your mind about the late pop-folkie.
Ghosts of the Great Highway Like Paula Frazer, Mark Kozelek fronted a Bay Area band -- Red House Painters -- that recorded dreamy, reverby Americana for the 4AD label back in the...Ghosts of the Great Highway Like Paula Frazer, Mark Kozelek fronted a Bay Area band -- Red House Painters -- that recorded dreamy, reverby Americana for the 4AD label back in the...2003-11-21
Producer (group): Jet Set
Posted November 21 2003 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Descendants' react: Did the tale about junior Disney villains cast a spell?
- Andre 3000 joins ABC's 'American Crime'
- Casting Net: Gary Oldman joins space love story
- Josh Gad wraps 'Beauty and the Beast' filming, shares pic
- Remembering Roddy Piper's rowdy film career
- Why 'The Tribe' is the perfect videogame movie
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' producers offer hints about the show's timeline
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- Michael & Kate, Michelle Rodriguez, Joss Stone and More!