Like Paula Frazer, Mark Kozelek fronted a Bay Area band – Red House Painters – that recorded dreamy, reverby Americana for the 4AD label back in the ’90s. This is the debut of his new band, which honestly isn’t too different from Painters: a bit more kick in the step, sure, a little more rooted to the earth, maybe, but still built around Kozelek’s fragile, slightly scuffed tenor, his taste for gleaming guitar architecture, and his exquisite sense of melody. The centerpiece is the 14-minute ”Duk Koo Kim,” our vote for best guitar epic of 2003 (sorry, Mars Volta). COUNTRY ROADS The Kozelek-produced ”Take Me Home: A Tribute to John Denver” (Badman Recording Co.) is more gorgeous than it has any right to be; it just might change your mind about the late pop-folkie.
Ghosts of the Great Highway Like Paula Frazer, Mark Kozelek fronted a Bay Area band -- Red House Painters -- that recorded dreamy, reverby Americana for the 4AD label back in the...Ghosts of the Great Highway Like Paula Frazer, Mark Kozelek fronted a Bay Area band -- Red House Painters -- that recorded dreamy, reverby Americana for the 4AD label back in the...2003-11-21
Producer (group): Jet Set
Posted November 21 2003 — 12:00 AM EST
- Hear Charlie Puth cover Drake's 'Hotline Bling' with Kehlani
- Check out the thrilling 'Arrow' season 4 trailer
- Mr. Bean's 25th anniversary marked outside Buckingham Palace
- Joan Rivers remembered by daughter Melissa in touching tribute
- 'Big Brother': James explains why he trashed the house during the veto competition
- Michelle Obama wished Beyoncé a happy birthday on Twitter
- Jason Biggs' son picked book perfect for his 'American Pie' past
- Force Friday: See Hasbro's 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' toys
- How three worlds collided for the Shondaland cast shoot: See the exclusive photos
- 8 most polarizing celebrities in 'Dancing With the Stars' history
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- Johnny Depp, Gabrielle Union, Karlie Kloss & More!