Like Paula Frazer, Mark Kozelek fronted a Bay Area band – Red House Painters – that recorded dreamy, reverby Americana for the 4AD label back in the ’90s. This is the debut of his new band, which honestly isn’t too different from Painters: a bit more kick in the step, sure, a little more rooted to the earth, maybe, but still built around Kozelek’s fragile, slightly scuffed tenor, his taste for gleaming guitar architecture, and his exquisite sense of melody. The centerpiece is the 14-minute ”Duk Koo Kim,” our vote for best guitar epic of 2003 (sorry, Mars Volta). COUNTRY ROADS The Kozelek-produced ”Take Me Home: A Tribute to John Denver” (Badman Recording Co.) is more gorgeous than it has any right to be; it just might change your mind about the late pop-folkie.
Ghosts of the Great Highway Like Paula Frazer, Mark Kozelek fronted a Bay Area band -- Red House Painters -- that recorded dreamy, reverby Americana for the 4AD label back in the...Ghosts of the Great Highway Like Paula Frazer, Mark Kozelek fronted a Bay Area band -- Red House Painters -- that recorded dreamy, reverby Americana for the 4AD label back in the...2003-11-21
Producer (group): Jet Set
Posted January 17 2015 — 4:48 AM EST
- Michelle Obama to appear on 'The Tonight Show'
- Listen to EW's Sirius XM spotlight on the women of comedy, featuring Kristen Schaal
- De La Soul to fund new album via Kickstarter
- 'Flash'-'Arrow' spinoff finds its Hawkgirl: Broadway star Ciara Renee
- Wilco protests Indiana law, nixes concert
- Oxygen, Esquire Network partner on companion series 'Living With Funny,' 'Comedians of L.A.'
- 'The Flash': Mark Hamill on reprising Trickster role, bringing out epic 'Star Wars' nod
- Will Ferrell's 15 greatest movie creations
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Blake Shelton, Destiny's Child, Claire & Don and More!