Like Paula Frazer, Mark Kozelek fronted a Bay Area band – Red House Painters – that recorded dreamy, reverby Americana for the 4AD label back in the ’90s. This is the debut of his new band, which honestly isn’t too different from Painters: a bit more kick in the step, sure, a little more rooted to the earth, maybe, but still built around Kozelek’s fragile, slightly scuffed tenor, his taste for gleaming guitar architecture, and his exquisite sense of melody. The centerpiece is the 14-minute ”Duk Koo Kim,” our vote for best guitar epic of 2003 (sorry, Mars Volta). COUNTRY ROADS The Kozelek-produced ”Take Me Home: A Tribute to John Denver” (Badman Recording Co.) is more gorgeous than it has any right to be; it just might change your mind about the late pop-folkie.
Ghosts of the Great Highway Like Paula Frazer, Mark Kozelek fronted a Bay Area band -- Red House Painters -- that recorded dreamy, reverby Americana for the 4AD label back in the...Ghosts of the Great Highway Like Paula Frazer, Mark Kozelek fronted a Bay Area band -- Red House Painters -- that recorded dreamy, reverby Americana for the 4AD label back in the...2003-11-21
Producer (group): Jet Set
Posted November 21 2003 — 12:00 AM EST
- Lifetime renews 'UnREAL' for second season
- Grant Morrison gives 'Heavy Metal' a punk rock facelift
- How well do you know your geek trivia? Take EW's Comic-Con quiz to find out
- 'Star Wars' at Comic-Con: What you'll see (J.J. Abrams and Co.) and what you won't (new trailer)
- Amy Schumer is 'taking responsibility' for controversial joke
- Listen to Liam Payne sing in the shower
- Jeremy Sisto moves into 'Wicked City'
- Soundbites of the week: Channing Tatum in 'Magic Mike XXL' leads our quip picks
- Reel-to-real couples: 12 relationships on-screen and off
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- Kendall Jenner, Liv Tyler, Jessie J & More!