You with the sad eyes. Yes, you, Cyndi Lauper. What’s with these stripped-down renditions of songs like ”Unchained Melody” and ”Walk on By”? They’re already tearjerkers, but then you go and make them extra lachrymose by singing with such restraint that each pointed lyric of pain penetrates. Sure, you do your wanting-to-have-fun thing on the merengue-brightened ”Stay,” and you and Tony Bennett do ”Makin’ Whoopee” nice and loose. But mostly you tread softly in tender places. That’s not what we expected. You really are so unusual.
At Last You with the sad eyes. Yes, you, Cyndi Lauper. What's with these stripped-down renditions of songs like ''Unchained Melody'' and ''Walk on By''? They...At Last You with the sad eyes. Yes, you, Cyndi Lauper. What's with these stripped-down renditions of songs like ''Unchained Melody'' and ''Walk on By''? They...2003-11-21
Lead Performer: Cyndi Lauper
Posted November 21 2003 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Ghostbusters' new car: Paul Feig reveals #whattheygonnadrive
- Gay marriage ruling movie in the works at Fox
- Casting Net: Ellen Page signs on for Iraq War drama Lioness
- Hillary Clinton talks 'SNL' impressions
- Miss USA pageant names new hosts
- Rosie Perez leaving 'The View'
- Jeff Goldblum and wife welcome first son on the only possible day
- 'American Idol Live!' tour photos: Let's go backstage!
- They look like THAT now? See some of the latest child stars all grown up
- Channing Tatum in 'Magic Mike XXL' leads our quip picks
- Reel-to-real couples: 12 relationships on-screen and off
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- Khloé Kardashian, Paul Rudd, Taylor Swift & More!