After depicting gamblers in ”Oscar and Lucinda” and outlaws in ”True History of the Kelly Gang,” two-time Booker Prize winner Carey populates his new novel with two old poets and the editor of a London literary review. However unexciting that sounds, the book actually gets off to a rip-roaring start – soon the lit types are mired in scandal, kidnapping, and murder in the unbookish tropics of Malaysia. The plot concerns the editor’s discovery of a batch of poems ”worth being born for,” and boasting a helluva backstory. Where did they come from, and who is this hulking Frankenstein’s monster-type figure who insists they’re his? These questions draw you through the book at a clip, but the unsatisfying answers – or lack thereof – take some of the force out of an otherwise gripping read.
My Life as a Fake After depicting gamblers in ''Oscar and Lucinda'' and outlaws in ''True History of the Kelly Gang,'' two-time Booker Prize winner Carey populates his...My Life as a FakeFictionPeter Carey After depicting gamblers in ''Oscar and Lucinda'' and outlaws in ''True History of the Kelly Gang,'' two-time Booker Prize winner Carey populates his...2003-11-21
Genre: Fiction; Author: Peter Carey
Posted November 21 2003 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Another Period': Natasha Leggero, Riki Lindhome on season finale
- Katie Ledecky throws out first pitch as Bryce Harper holds her medals
- 'Serial': Adnan Syed alibi witness shoots down attempts to discredit her
- 'DWTS' is bringing back Maksim Chmerkovskiy: source
- Joseph Gordon-Levitt blazes through aptitude test in 'Snowden' clip
- Jon Favreau to direct Seth MacFarlane's space-set comedic drama 'Orville'
- Ariana Grande, Nicki Minaj are reuniting for another VMAs performance
- Flashback to the 2001 'Summer Catch' Premiere
- Fall Movie Preview 2016: 'Fantastic Beasts,' 'Rogue One,' and 76 Other Films
- Flashback to the 1996 MTV Video Music Awards
- See All of EW's Fall Movie Preview Covers
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your comedy nominees are...
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your drama nominees are...