”Got a chip on my shoulder and a MetroCard,” spits ex – Masterminds MC Kimani Rogers on this hip-hop salvo, and he ain’t kiddin’. Named for the first black Muppet on ”Sesame Street,” the duo (with DJ Mr. Len, of legends Company Flow) open their brilliant mess of a debut with a long skit-song about bogus underground rappers. Skip it and begin with ”Lately,” a terse banger in which you meet an edgy guy two years sober with ”emotional baggage” from his dad, ”bills out the ass,” and ”voices in my head that just won’t subside.” Then call Ja Rule and ask him to explain ”realness” to us again. The pair also have hooks and a warped sense of humor, and by the time Rogers is living large over a Yeah Yeah Yeahs sample (on ”I’m So Rich”) or shouting about Kurt Loder jacking him at the ATM, you’re happy to indulge his bleaker moments. SISTER-IN-ARMS Jean Grae drops in for some cold-sweaty verses on ”Insomnia 411”; her latest, ”The Bootleg of the Bootleg” EP, is another hopeful sign that rap isn’t brain-dead.
Something's Gotta Give ''Got a chip on my shoulder and a MetroCard,'' spits ex -- Masterminds MC Kimani Rogers on this hip-hop salvo, and he ain't kiddin'. Named for the...Something's Gotta Give ''Got a chip on my shoulder and a MetroCard,'' spits ex -- Masterminds MC Kimani Rogers on this hip-hop salvo, and he ain't kiddin'. Named for the...2003-11-21
Producer (group): Third Earth Music
Posted November 21 2003 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Orphan Black' creator on that crazy, twerktastic episode: 'It was an important one for us'
- 'Orphan Black': Dylan Bruce on Paul's big moment
- Ryan Reynolds makes young fan's dream come true on 'Deadpool' set
- And the winner of the 2015 Eurovision Song Contest is...
- Stanley Kubrick's 'The Shining' at 35: Horror director Ted Geoghegan pays tribute
- Sting and Jimmy Fallon take 'Roxanne' to barbershop
- 'Mad Max' gets the 'Mario Kart' mashup it deserves
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- Karina Smirnoff, Zachary Quinto, Taylor Swift & More!