The author of ”The Butcher Boy” clearly has a soft spot for head cases. And the utter unreliability of his eighth novel’s narrator – a troubled cross between Travis Bickle and Chauncey Gardiner – ensures you won’t quickly know which way Call Me the Breeze is blowing. What begins dryly as a fictional memoir of apparently successful Irish author Joey Tallon becomes a psycho-thriller when he recounts disastrous incidents of stalking and kidnapping. Just when the book threatens to get really dark, it turns into an all-out comic romp as Joey, like the heroes of ”Taxi Driver” and ”Being There,” is mistaken for something other than the wack job he is. Subplots involving IRA murders and Bono jokes add Irish spice, but this very funny story is universal enough that some of Joey’s modest delusions of grandeur might hit close to home, even for us non-nutters.
Call Me the BreezeThe author of ''The Butcher Boy'' clearly has a soft spot for head cases. And the utter unreliability of his eighth novel's narrator -- a troubled cross...Call Me the BreezeFictionPatrick McCabeThe author of ''The Butcher Boy'' clearly has a soft spot for head cases. And the utter unreliability of his eighth novel's narrator -- a troubled cross...2003-11-28HarperCollins
Genre: Fiction; Author: Patrick McCabe; Publisher: HarperCollins
Posted January 17 2015 — 4:48 AM EST
- Dancing with the Stars celeb blog: Robert Herjavec on the rumba, spray tan and his very special guest
- Check out a preview of David Duchovny's solo album, 'Hell or Highwater'
- 'New Girl' renewed for season 5
- iLoveMakonnen drops new mixtape 'Drink More Water 5'
- 'Survivor: Worlds Apart' player Shirin tells all
- 'Empire' is TV's hottest new hit. So how does it stay on top?
- Jay Z on epic Tidal rlaunch: 'We're in this for the right reasons'
- Will Ferrell's 15 greatest movie creations
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Alicia, Nicki & Bey, Brooke Shields, Helen & Katie and More!