The author of ”The Butcher Boy” clearly has a soft spot for head cases. And the utter unreliability of his eighth novel’s narrator – a troubled cross between Travis Bickle and Chauncey Gardiner – ensures you won’t quickly know which way Call Me the Breeze is blowing. What begins dryly as a fictional memoir of apparently successful Irish author Joey Tallon becomes a psycho-thriller when he recounts disastrous incidents of stalking and kidnapping. Just when the book threatens to get really dark, it turns into an all-out comic romp as Joey, like the heroes of ”Taxi Driver” and ”Being There,” is mistaken for something other than the wack job he is. Subplots involving IRA murders and Bono jokes add Irish spice, but this very funny story is universal enough that some of Joey’s modest delusions of grandeur might hit close to home, even for us non-nutters.
Call Me the BreezeThe author of ''The Butcher Boy'' clearly has a soft spot for head cases. And the utter unreliability of his eighth novel's narrator -- a troubled cross...Call Me the BreezeFictionPatrick McCabeThe author of ''The Butcher Boy'' clearly has a soft spot for head cases. And the utter unreliability of his eighth novel's narrator -- a troubled cross...2003-11-28HarperCollins
Genre: Fiction; Author: Patrick McCabe; Publisher: HarperCollins
Posted November 28 2003 — 12:00 AM EST
- How the novel 'Star Wars: Aftermath' sets up 'The Force Awakens'
- The lawsuit over 'Mr. Holmes' has been settled, attorney says
- Kristen Bell’s gift to Dax Shepard makes us all miss 'Parenthood'
- Casting Net: Jason Momoa to star in lumberjack thriller Braven
- Brad Paisley gets ready for football season with 'Country Nation' video
- Selena Gomez is officially in 'Neighbors 2'
- Interracial family comedy in the works at NBC, from Parks and Recreation pair
- How three worlds collided for the Shondaland cast shoot: See the exclusive photos
- 8 most polarizing celebrities in 'Dancing With the Stars' history
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Tom Hardy, Alessandra Ambrósio, Bindi Irwin & More!