”Oracle Night” is the title of a novel within a pointedly abandoned novel within this wholly self-parodic novel. After Sidney Orr, a middle-aged writer getting back to his work after a near-fatal illness, buys a Portuguese notebook from a Chinese shopkeeper, the floodgates of his imagination open, and fine prose flows forth. ”Be careful, Sid,” a friend warns, of this magical stationery. ”You have to watch out that you don’t get lost.” Anyone familiar with Auster’s old books – his spare yarns of vanishing and chance – can guess that Sidney’s fiction will bleed into his reality. His chilling ghostliness, however, has been supplanted by insulting mystic hoo-ha and his smooth plot work replaced by garish leaps and twists.
Oracle Night ''Oracle Night'' is the title of a novel within a pointedly abandoned novel within this wholly self-parodic novel. After Sidney Orr, a middle-aged...Oracle NightFictionPaul Auster ''Oracle Night'' is the title of a novel within a pointedly abandoned novel within this wholly self-parodic novel. After Sidney Orr, a middle-aged...2003-11-28
Genre: Fiction; Author: Paul Auster
Posted November 28 2003 — 12:00 AM EST
- The Democratic Party approves of Kanye West's presidential run
- Broadway-bound 'SpongeBob' musical to premiering in Chicago
- 'Drunk History' season 3 scoop: Will Ferrell as Roald Dahl and more
- One Direction producer previews new 1D album: 'We're experimenting a little'
- Rachel Bilson, Autumn Reeser stage 'O.C.' reunion at 'Unauthorized O.C. Musical'
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' ratings dip to still-huge numbers
- Kylie Jenner stars in Tyga's new music video for 'Stimulated'
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- Reese Witherspoon, Aziz Ansari, Brooks & Julianne and More!