Take a sitcom family, steep it in neuroses, and what you get is the Schwartz clan. After accidentally mixing antidepressants, the patriarch, Bernard, lands in a coma. That leaves son Chris, a perversely sarcastic adolescent, and daughter Cathy, a devoutly Catholic Jew who has barely seen the inside of a church, in charge. (Mom’s moved out West and become a litigator who hops into bed with the computer repairman, among others.) Instead of bringing the family together, Bernard’s slow recovery provides an excuse for everyone to indulge in their eccentricities. Sharpe’s heartfelt characters never quite escape the weight of their own personalities. And, in the end, the Schwartzes suffer the fate of most lovable sitcom households that have reached the final episode in their run: They live on in perpetual motion with no resolution in sight.
The Sleeping Father Take a sitcom family, steep it in neuroses, and what you get is the Schwartz clan. After accidentally mixing antidepressants, the patriarch, Bernard,...The Sleeping FatherFictionMatthew Sharpe Take a sitcom family, steep it in neuroses, and what you get is the Schwartz clan. After accidentally mixing antidepressants, the patriarch, Bernard,...2003-11-28
Genre: Fiction; Author: Matthew Sharpe
Posted January 17 2015 — 4:48 AM EST
- 'The Messengers' premiere: Heaven or hell?
- Casting Net: Ben Stiller confirms Penelope Cruz will be in 'Zoolander 2'
- 'Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk' gets Veteran's Day 2016 release
- Five Broadway tickets to snag before Tony nominations make it impossible
- 'Star Wars': 5 revelations from Carrie Fisher at Celebration Q&A
- 'Batman v Superman' trailer is here; official release by Zack Snyder follows leak
- Never-before-seen passage from Madeleine L'Engle's 'A Wrinkle in Time' found
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Madonna's Cone Bra turns 25: How this Gaultier lingerie's legacy lingers
- Naomi Campbell, Jessica & Rosario, the Star Wars Cast & More