Somehow, McCullough (”The Thorn Birds”) can write sentences like the following without forcing a reader’s eyes into the back of her head – permanently: ”’Oh, Alexander, we are doomed!’ she cried. ‘I can’t love you, and you are beginning to hate me!”’ That’s thanks to the pure glee the author takes in telling a sprawling epic story. Elizabeth is 16 when she’s sent from Scotland to marry the rich (natch) gold-mine owner, Alexander, in New South Wales. Alexander and Elizabeth aren’t devoted to each other – his true love is an ex-prostitute who’s also Elizabeth’s best friend – which leaves our heroine open for a little lusting of her own. While the story isn’t exactly a roller coaster of thrills – it’s composed mostly of family and small-town dramas, accessorized with the mandatory jewels and bustling silk of romance novels – ”The Touch” is still wholly engaging. Skip the guilt, and just enjoy.
The Touch Somehow, McCullough (''The Thorn Birds'') can write sentences like the following without forcing a reader's eyes into the back of her head --...The TouchRomanceColleen Mccullough Somehow, McCullough (''The Thorn Birds'') can write sentences like the following without forcing a reader's eyes into the back of her head --...2003-11-28
Genre: Romance; Author: Colleen Mccullough
Posted January 17 2015 — 4:48 AM EST
- Jonathan Crombie, seen as Gilbert Blythe in 'Anne of Green Gables' films, dies at 48
- Johnny Kemp, 'Just Got Paid' singer, dies
- Star Wars Celebration: Jakku, BB-8 and other key takeaways about 'The Force Awakens'
- Two generations of heroes meet in new 'Star Wars Rebels' trailer
- Zayn Malik thanks One Direction at event
- Pixar's 'Inside Out' peek: Joy has a special job for Sadness on first day at a new school
- ACM Awards' host Luke Bryan on big stage spotlight: 'It's fun to have a touch of anxiety'
- 'Star Wars' fans take Anaheim: Celebration photos
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Prince Harry, Christina Aguilera, Diane Kruger & More!