As the former Berlin bureau chief for ”U.S. News & World Report,” Marks knows the political geography of post – Cold War Europe intimately. What’s surprising is that he’s just as adept at mapping out the emotional topography of living, breathing beings. ”War Torn” follows magazine scribe Arthur Cape as he covers the German reunification and falls hard for a beautiful, but married, Yugoslav woman. Cape never quite recovers after she follows her husband and son back to their Balkan hometown. When the Bosnian-Serbian conflict erupts, Cape tries to reach her but finds that even love can’t bypass the knotted religious/ethnic conflicts tearing up the region. Though ”War Torn” gets bogged down in a muddle of belabored plot twists, Marks’ reporter’s ear for detail and his deft, nonlinear narrative make it a worthy meditation on the intersection of heart and history.
War Torn As the former Berlin bureau chief for ''U.S. News & World Report,'' Marks knows the political geography of post -- Cold War Europe intimately. What's...War TornFictionJohn Marks As the former Berlin bureau chief for ''U.S. News & World Report,'' Marks knows the political geography of post -- Cold War Europe intimately. What's...2003-11-28
Genre: Fiction; Author: John Marks
Posted November 28 2003 — 12:00 AM EST
- Pussy Riot slam Trump in brutal new song, 'Make America Great Again'
- Donald Trump slams Hillary Clinton for attending Adele concert
- Miley Cyrus comments on engagement ring
- Seth Meyers mocks Donald Trump's Obamacare response
- Justin Timberlake on his voting booth selfie: 'I had no idea!'
- Elijah Wood turned down the chance to fight Daniel Radcliffe
- Justin Timberlake and Jimmy Fallon prove they're totally best friends
- The 16 Best Halloween Movies to Stream Right Now
- Hillary Clinton Through The Years
- 'Hamilton' Stars Go Old-School for Vintage Portraits
- 'The Walking Dead': Exclusive Season Premiere Storyboards
- 'Gilmore Girls' Trailer: A Deep Dive Into the Return to Stars Hollow
- 15 Ultimate Halloween Movie Picks, From Horror-Loving Actors and Filmmakers