”In America” is a family movie. Literally. Directed by Jim Sheridan (”My Left Foot”), from a screenplay he wrote with daughters Kirsten, 29, and Naomi, 31, the sweet story is based on the Sheridans’ immigration from Ireland to Manhattan in the early ’80s. Combining three sets of memories wasn’t simple – Jim was a tad underwhelmed by his daughters’ initial versions: ”I danced and sang the wrong words to songs, and I came home drunk,” he says. ”The rest of the story was the angst of being a child moved around by mad parents.” Finally, Sheridan pere created a useful plot spine: ”In America”’s parents (Paddy Considine and Samantha Morton) are reeling from the death of their young son (based on Jim’s late brother, Frankie). Onto that through line, the Sheridans were able to pack their Manhattan memories – their slummy, artist-filled apartment building, the shock of Hell’s Kitchen humidity, Jim’s attempts at acting. They swear they rarely clashed over whose anecdotes made the cut. ”We argued over stupider things,” Naomi says. ”Like where to eat.”
Posted December 5 2003 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Graceland' postmortem: Is Paige in over her head?
- 'Wet Hot' creators provide teases for 40 characters in the prequel
- Patricia Arquette to voice witch in 'Troll: The Rise of Harry Potter Jr.'
- Caitlyn Jenner practices her 'feminine voice' in 'I Am Cait' clip
- Dwayne Johnson on Hulk Hogan's racist rant: 'We've all talked trash'
- Jared Padalecki posted his first-ever #TBT: 13 more 'Supernatural' throwbacks
- Betty White is furious about the killing of Cecil the lion
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- Jennifer Lopez, Brad Pitt, Candace & Lori and More!