Occasionally, Carter – a master of all reeds – flashes so much skill, he loses a song’s sense. Not here. This Billie Holiday tribute offers sometimes lush, always thoughtful contexts in which he focuses on melody and story line. His overdubbed choir of baritone, tenor, and F-mezzo saxes swings mightily on ”I’m in a Lowdown Groove,” while ”Strange Fruit” achieves a stirring climax. And Greg Cohen’s tasteful strings form perfect springboards for Carter’s purposeful improvisations.
Gardenias for Lady Day Occasionally, Carter -- a master of all reeds -- flashes so much skill, he loses a song's sense. Not here. This Billie Holiday tribute offers...Gardenias for Lady Day Occasionally, Carter -- a master of all reeds -- flashes so much skill, he loses a song's sense. Not here. This Billie Holiday tribute offers...2003-12-05
Lead Performer: James Carter
Posted December 5 2003 — 12:00 AM EST
- Justin Bieber releases music video for 'What Do You Mean?'
- Justin Bieber cries after MTV VMAs performance
- Kanye West is having the best time at the MTV VMAs
- MTV just debuted a new trailer for 'The Shannara Chronicles'
- Demi Lovato performs 'Cool For The Summer' with Iggy Azalea at VMAs
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' star Kim Dickens on the moment that 'destroyed' Madison
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' showrunner Dave Erickson breaks down 'So Close, Yet So Far'
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- Khloé & Kris, Elsa & Chris, Rihanna and More!