Occasionally, Carter – a master of all reeds – flashes so much skill, he loses a song’s sense. Not here. This Billie Holiday tribute offers sometimes lush, always thoughtful contexts in which he focuses on melody and story line. His overdubbed choir of baritone, tenor, and F-mezzo saxes swings mightily on ”I’m in a Lowdown Groove,” while ”Strange Fruit” achieves a stirring climax. And Greg Cohen’s tasteful strings form perfect springboards for Carter’s purposeful improvisations.
Gardenias for Lady Day Occasionally, Carter -- a master of all reeds -- flashes so much skill, he loses a song's sense. Not here. This Billie Holiday tribute offers...Gardenias for Lady Day Occasionally, Carter -- a master of all reeds -- flashes so much skill, he loses a song's sense. Not here. This Billie Holiday tribute offers...2003-12-05
Lead Performer: James Carter; Status: In Season
Posted December 5 2003 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'House of Cards' premiere react: Blood on the Tracks
- Skrillex + Diplo release Jack U debut
- 'Empire' star Jussie Smollett on the power of Jamal's coming-out
- 'Focus' aims to lift box office crown from 'Fifty Shades of Grey'
- Bruce Willis indie-thriller 'Wake' halts production due to lack of funding
- 'How to Get Away with Murder' creator on season 1 success, season 2 ideas
- Catwoman comes out as bisexual in comic
- 'Empire': New EW cast portraits and behind-the-scenes photos
- 'Dancing with the Stars': Sizing up the season 20 cast
- 'Parks' 2017: What we embrace/dread in world of tomorrow
- Oscars 2015: EW exclusive rehearsal photos
- Oscars 2015 backstage: EW all-access photo pass
- Taylor, Rita & Orlando, Amanda and More!