Occasionally, Carter – a master of all reeds – flashes so much skill, he loses a song’s sense. Not here. This Billie Holiday tribute offers sometimes lush, always thoughtful contexts in which he focuses on melody and story line. His overdubbed choir of baritone, tenor, and F-mezzo saxes swings mightily on ”I’m in a Lowdown Groove,” while ”Strange Fruit” achieves a stirring climax. And Greg Cohen’s tasteful strings form perfect springboards for Carter’s purposeful improvisations.
Gardenias for Lady Day Occasionally, Carter -- a master of all reeds -- flashes so much skill, he loses a song's sense. Not here. This Billie Holiday tribute offers...Gardenias for Lady Day Occasionally, Carter -- a master of all reeds -- flashes so much skill, he loses a song's sense. Not here. This Billie Holiday tribute offers...2003-12-05
Lead Performer: James Carter
Posted December 5 2003 — 12:00 AM EST
- Meet the new kids on the hip-hop block
- 'The Mindy Project's Ike Barinholtz is coming out with a book
- A movie about Pez Candy is being made
- See an exclusive preview of Leslie Stein's dreamy, gorgeous cartoons from 'Bright-Eyed at Midnight'
- Nicolas Cage talks 'The Runner,' explains why he's not 'a madman'
- Chief Keef releases new mixtape ahead of schedule
- Get your exclusive first look at 'Shadowhunters'
- Stars We Lost in 2015
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Sam Smith, Channing Tatum, Gwyneth Paltrow and More!