Johnny Depp’s endearing Keith Richards-does-Captain Kidd characterization of the double-crossing pirate Jack Sparrow is so unique that it stands out amid all the frenzied swashbuckling and zombie battling around him – no easy task. The rollicking but exhausting Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl is about a half hour too long (with at least one too many numbing Jerry Bruckheimerian set pieces), but thankfully, at home you can pause the bombast to get your sea legs and take an aspirin. EXTRAS Depp’s commentary (with director Gore Verbinski) on the two-disc set is disappointingly dry, and of the THAT ACTOR WAS GREAT! SO WAS THAT PROP MAN! variety. But the banter between bubbly Keira Knightley and wickedly witty Jack Davenport (of U.K. ”Coupling” fame) is a cheeky delight: ”Oh, no, it all goes downhill,” Davenport teases when Knightley first appears on screen. The comprehensive making-of shorts spotlight the film’s impressive research, but also raise the question: Did an amusement-park-ride-based action movie really require all this historical accuracy?
Genre: Action/Adventure, Sci-fi and Fantasy; Starring: Orlando Bloom, Johnny Depp, Keira Knightley, Jonathan Pryce, Geoffrey Rush, Tom Wilkinson; Director: Gore Verbinski; Author: Jay Wolpert; Producer (person): Jerry Bruckheimer; Release Date Wide: 07/09/2003; Runtime (in minutes): 143; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Walt Disney Pictures
Posted January 17 2015 — 4:48 AM EST
- Play 'Pac-Man' around the world in Google Maps
- Showtime renews 'House of Lies' for fifth season
- Linda Lavin to return to Broadway in 'Our Mother's Brief Affair'
- Fox's 'Weird Loners' aren't quite weird or lonely enough
- 'Arrow'-'Flash' spinoff's role for Caity Lotz? Let's theorize...
- Beastie Boys' Adam Horovitz gives relationship advice in 'Ask a Grown Man'
- 'Ellen,' 'GH' lead Daytime Emmy noms
- Woe-woe-woe: 23 signature sad songs of the past 20 years
- Jailbird watching: 13 memorable movie prisoners
- Will Ferrell's 15 greatest movie creations
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- Alicia, Nicki & Bey, Brooke Shields, Helen & Katie and More!