Johnny Depp’s endearing Keith Richards-does-Captain Kidd characterization of the double-crossing pirate Jack Sparrow is so unique that it stands out amid all the frenzied swashbuckling and zombie battling around him – no easy task. The rollicking but exhausting Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl is about a half hour too long (with at least one too many numbing Jerry Bruckheimerian set pieces), but thankfully, at home you can pause the bombast to get your sea legs and take an aspirin. EXTRAS Depp’s commentary (with director Gore Verbinski) on the two-disc set is disappointingly dry, and of the THAT ACTOR WAS GREAT! SO WAS THAT PROP MAN! variety. But the banter between bubbly Keira Knightley and wickedly witty Jack Davenport (of U.K. ”Coupling” fame) is a cheeky delight: ”Oh, no, it all goes downhill,” Davenport teases when Knightley first appears on screen. The comprehensive making-of shorts spotlight the film’s impressive research, but also raise the question: Did an amusement-park-ride-based action movie really require all this historical accuracy?
Genre: Action/Adventure, Sci-fi and Fantasy; Starring: Orlando Bloom, Johnny Depp, Keira Knightley, Jonathan Pryce, Geoffrey Rush, Tom Wilkinson; Director: Gore Verbinski; Author: Jay Wolpert; Producer (person): Jerry Bruckheimer; Release Date Wide: 07/09/2003; Runtime (in minutes): 143; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Walt Disney Pictures
Posted December 5 2003 — 12:00 AM EST
- Kelly Rowland at Essence Fest previews BET series to find next great girl group
- The Nathan's Hot Dog Eating contest crowned a new champion on July 4
- Michael Douglas' mother dies at 92
- Hello Kitty movie targeted for 2019
- 'Suicide Squad' on-set photo: Harley Quinn birthday cake for Margot Robbie
- Caitlyn Jenner 'proud to be an American'
- Lil Wayne: 'Free Weezy Album' on Tidal
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- Garcelle Beauvais, Kylie Jenner, Serena Williams & More!