Make no mistake: Spillane’s a dinosaur. Back in the ‘50 and ’60s, his Mike Hammer novels were all the rage among folks who preferred their detective fiction without highfalutin Chandlerian poetics and with a double dose of macho attitude. Not much has changed. In his latest tale, Spillane (now 85!) writes like the Cold War never ended (one character calls Cubans ”Cubies”) and feminism never happened (”You didn’t think, you stupid broad,” tough-guy protagonist Mako Hooker barks at a woman). In spite, or maybe because, of such business, ”Something” is a satisfying little potboiler; its blithe lack of concern with present-day political correctness gives it a rough-hewn charm that’s as refreshing as it is rare.
Something's Down There Make no mistake: Spillane's a dinosaur. Back in the '50 and '60s, his Mike Hammer novels were all the rage among folks who preferred their detective...Something's Down ThereMystery and ThrillerMickey Spillane Make no mistake: Spillane's a dinosaur. Back in the '50 and '60s, his Mike Hammer novels were all the rage among folks who preferred their detective...2003-12-05
Genre: Mystery and Thriller; Author: Mickey Spillane
Posted December 5 2003 — 12:00 AM EST
- Michael B. Jordan may bare his fangs in MGM's 'Blood Brothers'
- Aaron Tveit, Daniel Sunjata sum up 'Graceland' in 30 seconds
- 'Hannibal' boss previews series finale, considers cannibalism
- 'Suicide Squad' wrap photo is like a 'Where's Waldo?'
- Lionsgate planning movie based on 'Borderlands' video game
- What it was like inside Lady Gaga's blood-red 'American Horror Story' pool party
- Spoiler Room: Scoop on 'Blacklist,' 'Sleepy Hollow,' 'The Flash' and more
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Céline Dion, Aaron Paul, Kate & Hayden and More!