Make no mistake: Spillane’s a dinosaur. Back in the ‘50 and ’60s, his Mike Hammer novels were all the rage among folks who preferred their detective fiction without highfalutin Chandlerian poetics and with a double dose of macho attitude. Not much has changed. In his latest tale, Spillane (now 85!) writes like the Cold War never ended (one character calls Cubans ”Cubies”) and feminism never happened (”You didn’t think, you stupid broad,” tough-guy protagonist Mako Hooker barks at a woman). In spite, or maybe because, of such business, ”Something” is a satisfying little potboiler; its blithe lack of concern with present-day political correctness gives it a rough-hewn charm that’s as refreshing as it is rare.
Something's Down There Make no mistake: Spillane's a dinosaur. Back in the '50 and '60s, his Mike Hammer novels were all the rage among folks who preferred their detective...Something's Down ThereMystery and ThrillerMickey Spillane Make no mistake: Spillane's a dinosaur. Back in the '50 and '60s, his Mike Hammer novels were all the rage among folks who preferred their detective...2003-12-05
Genre: Mystery and Thriller; Author: Mickey Spillane
Posted January 17 2015 — 4:48 AM EST
- 'Inside Out' clip: Joy has a special job for Sadness on the first day at a new school
- Host Luke Bryan on the ACM Awards' big stage: 'Certain people just really perform when the moment comes'
- 'Orphan Black' star Tatiana Maslany says fan love is 'like fuel for us'
- 'The Messengers' premiere: Heaven or hell?
- Casting Net: Ben Stiller confirms Penelope Cruz will be in 'Zoolander 2'
- 'Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk' gets Veteran's Day 2016 release
- Five Broadway tickets to snag before Tony nominations make it impossible
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Madonna's Cone Bra turns 25: How this Gaultier lingerie's legacy lingers
- Olivia Wilde, Brad Paisley, Brandy Norwood & More!