For their new boxed set, legendary glam-metal act Motley Crue chose a typically out-of-control title, ”Music to Crash Your Car To, Volume 1.” But metalheads with a memory might find it appalling. In 1984, Crue frontman Vince Neil was arrested on drunk-driving and vehicular-manslaughter charges after a late-night liquor run turned into a tragic accident that killed his passenger, Nicholas ”Razzle” Dingley of Finnish metal band Hanoi Rocks, in addition to seriously injuring two people in an oncoming car. Neil, who was found to be well over the legal blood-alcohol limit, served 30 days in jail and forked over $2.6 million in restitution. When questioned about the moniker, Crue bassist Nikki Sixx explained that it was meant as a ”sarcastic statement towards a lifestyle” and didn’t make the connection between it and the accident until Neil (who couldn’t be reached for comment) expressed misgivings. But by that point, the four-disc compilation was already on shelves. That’s little consolation for Hanoi Rocks members Michael Monroe and Andy McCoy. ”The despicable title by the ‘Motley Crude’…is the most tasteless and murderous gimmick to cash in on the past that we’ve ever heard of,” they wrote in a statement faxed from Finland. ”There’s nothing ‘cool’ or ‘funny’ about death…. How low can you go?!?”
Posted December 5 2003 — 12:00 AM EST
- Nicholas Hoult will play J.D. Salinger in a new biopic
- Stephen Amell says he'll go for Prime Minister if Kanye West runs for president
- 'SNL': See brand new footage from 'Hobbit Office' starring Martin Freeman
- Kanye as VMAs host in 2016? Not so fast
- Emmys secret ballot: How will Hollywood vote?
- This is what stars looked like at their first VMAs
- Prince talks about his 'experimental' new record 'HITNRUN'
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- Reese Witherspoon, Aziz Ansari, Brooks & Julianne and More!