For their new boxed set, legendary glam-metal act Motley Crue chose a typically out-of-control title, ”Music to Crash Your Car To, Volume 1.” But metalheads with a memory might find it appalling. In 1984, Crue frontman Vince Neil was arrested on drunk-driving and vehicular-manslaughter charges after a late-night liquor run turned into a tragic accident that killed his passenger, Nicholas ”Razzle” Dingley of Finnish metal band Hanoi Rocks, in addition to seriously injuring two people in an oncoming car. Neil, who was found to be well over the legal blood-alcohol limit, served 30 days in jail and forked over $2.6 million in restitution. When questioned about the moniker, Crue bassist Nikki Sixx explained that it was meant as a ”sarcastic statement towards a lifestyle” and didn’t make the connection between it and the accident until Neil (who couldn’t be reached for comment) expressed misgivings. But by that point, the four-disc compilation was already on shelves. That’s little consolation for Hanoi Rocks members Michael Monroe and Andy McCoy. ”The despicable title by the ‘Motley Crude’…is the most tasteless and murderous gimmick to cash in on the past that we’ve ever heard of,” they wrote in a statement faxed from Finland. ”There’s nothing ‘cool’ or ‘funny’ about death…. How low can you go?!?”
Posted December 5 2003 — 12:00 AM EST
- Sarah Michelle Gellar and Alyson Hannigan had a 'Buffy' reunion
- Chris Pratt on being a sex symbol: 'Before, I was the sweaty guy who didn't give a s---'
- Munich Film Festival to honor Alexander Payne with retrospective
- George R.R. Martin reveals which religion inspired that 'Game of Thrones' cult
- How 50 Cent's near-fatal shooting wound up being a key part of 'Power'
- 'Game of Thrones' showrunner on why those two paths crossed now: 'this just felt right'
- 'Veep': What's next for Selina Meyer and Tom James
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- George & Amal, the Rock, Anne Hathaway & More!