”Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl” continues to be everyone’s favorite aarrrgh-rated movie. According to the Hollywood Reporter, the Johnny Depp adventure sold 11 million DVDs and VHS tapes during the film’s first week on home video, setting a record for a live-action movie. (The previous live-action first-week record belonged to another equally unlikely action hero, Tobey Maguire, whose ”Spider-Man” sold 10 million copies during its first week in stores in 2002.) ”Pirates” plundered an estimated $240 million in sales and rentals, Disney announced. Add to that its treasure chest the $304 million it already earned at the box office, and you have to wonder about the entertainment industry’s stand against piracy now.
(Pirates of the Caribbean: Elliott Marks)
Posted December 10 2003 — 12:00 AM EST
- Jimmy Kimmel addresses 'avalanche' of backlash from video game sketch
- Ben Hatke previews new graphic novel as 'a little book in a big world'
- See the trailer for 'Animorphs' author's next book, 'Crenshaw' -- exclusive
- 'Being Mary Jane' season 3 gets premiere date, adds guest stars Loretta Devine and Jill Scott
- See the new trailer for Eli Roth's 'Knock Knock'
- Listen to Jesse Eisenberg read about Carmelo Anthony in 'Bream Gives Me Hiccups' -- exclusive
- Shadowman returns to the Valiant Universe in 'Operation: Deadside'
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- Kendall Jenner, Jamie Dornan, Katie Holmes & More!