As England’s beloved barrister Horace Rumpole languishes in a convalescent home, the Equity Court’s new PR whiz excitedly prepares his memorial service. But Rumpole is decidedly alive – and still nosy. In the title story of Rumpole and the Primrose Path, a collection of John Mortimer’s mysteries, Rumpole uncovers the truth behind a wealthy patient’s death – in a manner only he could devise. In ”Scales of Justice,” he defends a police commander accused of the attempted murder of a prominent sawbones. Though Mortimer builds his tales toward predictable ”aha!” moments, his real gifts are his daffy minor characters: a flirtatious female judge, a pole-dancing informant, and Rumpole’s long-suffering wife, Hilda (a.k.a. She Who Must Be Obeyed).
Rumpole and the Primrose PathAs England's beloved barrister Horace Rumpole languishes in a convalescent home, the Equity Court's new PR whiz excitedly prepares his memorial service....Rumpole and the Primrose PathFictionJohn MortimerAs England's beloved barrister Horace Rumpole languishes in a convalescent home, the Equity Court's new PR whiz excitedly prepares his memorial service....2003-12-12Viking
Genre: Fiction; Author: John Mortimer; Publisher: Viking
Posted December 12 2003 — 12:00 AM EST
- First Look: See Rob Riggle as 'Gator Dan' on 'Fresh Off the Boat'
- Netflix renews 'Narcos' for season 2
- Eddie Redmayne: 'The Danish Girl' was 'an extraordinary experience'
- Meet the new Transporter: Ed Skrein has refueled the action franchise
- 6 times Cate Blanchett transformed to play real people on the big screen
- Black Sabbath announce farewell tour
- 'Spectre' poster: James Bond is dressed to kill
- 8 most polarizing celebrities in 'Dancing With the Stars' history
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- Heidi & Howie, Chris Evans, Kelly Rowland and More!