The Offspring seem like two different bands: One’s a passel of punk rockers specializing in gallop-tempo anthems; the other’s a bunch of wiseasses who traffic in clever novelty-rock tunes. In the second incarnation, they’re pretty fly, but when they play it straight they sound too much like, well, white guys. Splinter, album No. 7 from these Left Coasters, features a few snarky belly busters, like ”The Worst Hangover Ever” and ”When You’re in Prison,” and rather too much of the straight-ahead stuff. Sure, the Offspring pack a lot of punch, but you sorta find yourself wishing they’d give birth to a pure comedy CD just once.
SplinterThe Offspring seem like two different bands: One's a passel of punk rockers specializing in gallop-tempo anthems; the other's a bunch of wiseasses who...SplinterRockThe Offspring seem like two different bands: One's a passel of punk rockers specializing in gallop-tempo anthems; the other's a bunch of wiseasses who...2003-12-12
Genre: Rock; Producer (group): Sony Music
Posted December 12 2003 — 12:00 AM EST
- Billy Joel's surprise July 4 wedding
- Penn & Teller reveal the craziest tricks from their upcoming Broadway show
- Kelly Rowland at Essence Fest previews BET series to find next great girl group
- The Nathan's Hot Dog Eating contest crowned a new champion on July 4
- Michael Douglas' mother dies at 92
- Hello Kitty movie targeted for 2019
- 'Suicide Squad' on-set photo: Harley Quinn birthday cake for Margot Robbie
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- Garcelle Beauvais, Kylie Jenner, Serena Williams & More!