”On the East Coast, we live in buildings,” New York actor and rap fan Danny Hoch once said. ”We live all on top of each other…therefore our rhyme style is gonna be, you know, more squooshed.” Hardly eloquent, but accurate. Though there are landlocked and Left Coast guests on ”Convexed,” the debut comp from indie producer the Prof, that tension-in-the-tenements aesthetic prevails. Def Jux labelmates Aesop Rock and Vordul Megilah spread five-borough gloom, but with smidgens of humor and hope. And Timboking and RA the Rugged Man’s breathless race-baiting on ”Black & White” can only result in cathartic laughter from Boston to Bensonhurst. ”Urban Renewal Program: Supplement 1.5” is more of the darkly inspirational same. Partnered with die-hard Brooklyn rep Mos Def on ”Wylin’ Out,” Chicago’s Diverse rhymes, ”We findin’ beauty in this urban gritty/Usually overlooked by many.” Now that’s eloquent.
Convexed ''On the East Coast, we live in buildings,'' New York actor and rap fan Danny Hoch once said. ''We live all on top of each other...therefore our rhyme...Convexed ''On the East Coast, we live in buildings,'' New York actor and rap fan Danny Hoch once said. ''We live all on top of each other...therefore our rhyme...2003-12-12
Lead Performer: Various Artists; Producer (group): Nature Sounds
Posted December 12 2003 — 12:00 AM EST
- George R.R. Martin reveals which religion inspired that 'Game of Thrones' cult
- How 50 Cent's near-fatal shooting wound up being a key part of 'Power'
- 'Game of Thrones' showrunner on why those two paths crossed now: 'this just felt right'
- 'Veep': What's next for Selina Meyer and Tom James
- Anne Meara, veteran actress and half of Stiller and Meara comedy team, dies at 85
- David Letterman tribute on Indy 500 car
- Cannes 2015: 'Dheepan' wins Palme d'Or
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- George & Amal, the Rock, Anne Hathaway & More!