”On the East Coast, we live in buildings,” New York actor and rap fan Danny Hoch once said. ”We live all on top of each other…therefore our rhyme style is gonna be, you know, more squooshed.” Hardly eloquent, but accurate. Though there are landlocked and Left Coast guests on ”Convexed,” the debut comp from indie producer the Prof, that tension-in-the-tenements aesthetic prevails. Def Jux labelmates Aesop Rock and Vordul Megilah spread five-borough gloom, but with smidgens of humor and hope. And Timboking and RA the Rugged Man’s breathless race-baiting on ”Black & White” can only result in cathartic laughter from Boston to Bensonhurst. ”Urban Renewal Program: Supplement 1.5” is more of the darkly inspirational same. Partnered with die-hard Brooklyn rep Mos Def on ”Wylin’ Out,” Chicago’s Diverse rhymes, ”We findin’ beauty in this urban gritty/Usually overlooked by many.” Now that’s eloquent.
Convexed ''On the East Coast, we live in buildings,'' New York actor and rap fan Danny Hoch once said. ''We live all on top of each other...therefore our rhyme...Convexed ''On the East Coast, we live in buildings,'' New York actor and rap fan Danny Hoch once said. ''We live all on top of each other...therefore our rhyme...2003-12-12
Lead Performer: Various Artists; Producer (group): Nature Sounds
Posted January 17 2015 — 4:48 AM EST
- 'Outlander' boss Ronald Moore talks Geillis reveal, Claire's shocking choice
- 'Orphan Black' creators on series' sexy, surreal return
- Tatiana Maslany on 'Orphan Black' return, and 'totally changing up what people were going to expect'
- Jonathan Crombie, seen as Gilbert Blythe in 'Anne of Green Gables' films, dies at 48
- Johnny Kemp, 'Just Got Paid' singer, dies
- Star Wars Celebration: Jakku, BB-8 and other key takeaways about 'The Force Awakens'
- Two generations of heroes meet in new 'Star Wars Rebels' trailer
- 'Star Wars' fans take Anaheim: Celebration photos
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Prince Harry, Christina Aguilera, Diane Kruger & More!