”On the East Coast, we live in buildings,” New York actor and rap fan Danny Hoch once said. ”We live all on top of each other…therefore our rhyme style is gonna be, you know, more squooshed.” Hardly eloquent, but accurate. Though there are landlocked and Left Coast guests on ”Convexed,” the debut comp from indie producer the Prof, that tension-in-the-tenements aesthetic prevails. Def Jux labelmates Aesop Rock and Vordul Megilah spread five-borough gloom, but with smidgens of humor and hope. And Timboking and RA the Rugged Man’s breathless race-baiting on ”Black & White” can only result in cathartic laughter from Boston to Bensonhurst. ”Urban Renewal Program: Supplement 1.5” is more of the darkly inspirational same. Partnered with die-hard Brooklyn rep Mos Def on ”Wylin’ Out,” Chicago’s Diverse rhymes, ”We findin’ beauty in this urban gritty/Usually overlooked by many.” Now that’s eloquent.
Convexed ''On the East Coast, we live in buildings,'' New York actor and rap fan Danny Hoch once said. ''We live all on top of each other...therefore our rhyme...Convexed ''On the East Coast, we live in buildings,'' New York actor and rap fan Danny Hoch once said. ''We live all on top of each other...therefore our rhyme...2003-12-12
Lead Performer: Various Artists; Producer (group): Nature Sounds
Posted December 12 2003 — 12:00 AM EST
- Now's your chance to see 'Mad Max: Fury Road' in IMAX theaters
- Obama to honor Stephen King, Sally Field with National Medals of Arts
- Queen Elizabeth is a huge fan of 'Downton Abbey'
- You can binge all of TNT's new show 'Public Morals' — only on Labor Day weekend
- New 'Batman v Superman' pics show Wonder Woman, the Batmobile
- 'Star Wars: Aftermath': Finding Han Solo for a quick galactic run
- Kanye West sends Taylor Swift flowers after the 2015 VMAs
- Force Friday: See Hasbro's 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' toys
- How three worlds collided for the Shondaland cast shoot: See the exclusive photos
- 8 most polarizing celebrities in 'Dancing With the Stars' history
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- Johnny Depp, Gabrielle Union, Karlie Kloss & More!