Between 1945 and 1962, the U.S. conducted 216 atmospheric and underwater nuclear tests – which are the hypnotizing subjects of this astonishing picture book culled by Light from the archives at the Los Alamos National Laboratory and the U.S. National Archives. Bearing nicknames like Diablo, Frigate Bird, Priscilla, and Romeo, the glistening mushroom clouds resemble everything from flowers and jellyfish to bonfires and galaxies, to volleyballs and the falling Twin Towers. This window onto an awe-inspiring apocalypse would make a smart selection for the Dr. Strangelove fan on your list.
Posted December 19 2003 — 12:00 AM EST
- Bill Paxton reminisces about 15 key roles
- 15 scary movies we saw as kids... that still haunt our nightmares
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- Bryce & Chris, Karlie Kloss, Tony & Gaga and More!