You’re not a moneybags. You don’t have $135 to shell out for Gary Larson’s newly released Complete Far Side. Try McCall’s stuff instead. The illustrator and essay humorist is a 21st-century Larson mixed with a little of Futurama-era Matt Groening. As a bonus, he usually supplements his sleek pastel-tinted drawings of ”The Car Wash of the Gods,” the butter tart (”Canada’s premier patriotic pastry”), and ”Golf Carts of the Third Reich” with droll essays like you might see in The New Yorker. Which is where, actually, much of McCall’s daffy work has appeared over the last 23 years.
Posted December 19 2003 — 12:00 AM EST
- Ben Stiller tweets about mom Anne Meara
- Max Greenfield joins 'AHS: Hotel' cast
- Josh Duggar: Eye on awkward joke in clip
- Rob Thomas returns with new single 'Trust You,' shares details of new album
- 'Winter Is Coming Live': Will Stannis make the sacrifice on 'Game of Thrones'?
- 'Winter Is Coming Live': Can Tyrion be trusted on 'Game of Thrones'?
- Kim and Kanye: It's their 1st anniversary
- 15 scary movies we saw as kids... that still haunt our nightmares
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- George & Amal, the Rock, Anne Hathaway & More!