Perry’s latest suspense novel stars 19th-century socialite Lady Vespasia Cumming-Gould, a veteran of the author’s popular Thomas Pitt series. While our noble, beautiful heroine parties with friends in the Berkshire countryside, her children are ”well cared for” back in London. The merriment ceases when Vespasia’s green-eyed pal Lady Isobel insults a kind widow, who promptly kills herself. All blame Isobel’s nasty remark, but Vespasia stands by the accused and accompanies her on a journey to the Highlands of Scotland to find the mother of the deceased. The scenery is enveloping, but the suicide mystery is a stretch. By the time everyone begins making generic Christmas Eve speeches extolling the virtues of courage, you’ll be yawning.
A Christmas Journey Perry's latest suspense novel stars 19th-century socialite Lady Vespasia Cumming-Gould, a veteran of the author's popular Thomas Pitt series. While...A Christmas JourneyMystery and ThrillerAnne Perry Perry's latest suspense novel stars 19th-century socialite Lady Vespasia Cumming-Gould, a veteran of the author's popular Thomas Pitt series. While...2003-12-19
Genre: Mystery and Thriller; Author: Anne Perry
Posted December 19 2003 — 12:00 AM EST
- Critics' Choice Awards: Which movie should win Best Picture?
- Jude Law alarms everyone as 'The Young Pope' in tense new trailer
- 'SuperMansion' Christmas special introduces a maniacal Jim Parsons
- Michelle Obama will bid farewell to White House in Oprah interview
- 'This Is Us' casts 'Walking Dead' alum in recurring role
- Heat rises in J.R. Ward's vampire romance 'Blood Vow' excerpt
- Evanescence's Amy Lee reveals stories behind the songs
- The 11 Most Prolific TV Holiday Movie Actors
- Go Behind the Scenes of EW's Chrissy Teigen Photoshoot
- The 'Office Christmas Party' Cast Decks the Halls With Merry Mayhem
- The Best Gifts For 'Gilmore Girls' Fans
- See Exclusive Photos From Star-Studded Performances of 'Oh, Hello'
- 35 Photos of Britney Spears For Her 35th Birthday