Released in 2000, In Darkness Let Me Dwell was one of the year’s true sleepers: a gorgeous set of lute songs by lachrymose late-16th-and early-17th-century composer John Dowland performed by Hilliard Ensemble vocalist John Potter with a hint of dark blue jazz flavor. This set reconvenes his group – including supple Euro-jazz reed player John Surman – to reshape songs and madrigals by Dowland’s contemporaries and successors. The selections may be less exquisitely sad, perhaps, but are no less beautiful. FACT-CHECKING DEPT. The writer of ”Care-charming Sleep,” Robert Johnson, is not the soul-selling Delta bluesman, but a court lutenist for England’s King James I.
The Dowland Project: Carecharming Sleep Released in 2000, In Darkness Let Me Dwell was one of the year's true sleepers: a gorgeous set of lute songs by lachrymose late-16th-and early-17th...The Dowland Project: Carecharming Sleep Released in 2000, In Darkness Let Me Dwell was one of the year's true sleepers: a gorgeous set of lute songs by lachrymose late-16th-and early-17th...2003-12-19
Lead Performer: John Potter; Producer (group): ECM
Posted December 19 2003 — 12:00 AM EST
- Arthur Conan Doyle's estate is suing Miramax over 'Mr. Holmes'
- A$AP Rocky and Schoolboy Q shock with 'Electric Body'
- Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen aren't returning for Netflix's 'Fuller House'
- Two more (unofficial) Drake songs leak, including Tinashe collaboration
- Bask in '90s nostalgia with this a ca-mazing 'Boy Meets World' medley
- Eminem to executive produce 'Southpaw' soundtrack: Hear a sneak peek of his new song
- Michael B. Jordan: Why I'm Torching the color line in 'Fantastic Four'
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion (so far)
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- Summer Music Preview 2015: 10 hottest tours
- Marion Cotillard, Jason Derulo, Serena Williams and More!