Does gender inform music making? It’s a tricky question when talking about electronic music, since so few women are involved in it, and its monikered makers usually hide behind their machines. But like the best of her female peers – England’s Neotropic and Holland’s Solex – France’s Colleen, a.k.a. Cecile Schott, has an affinity for odd samples, and makes music with a peculiar warmth one might describe as womblike. Harps, bells, birds, record-surface noise, and gossamer synth textures swarm through wordless, loop-driven compositions that are nearly ambient. The beauty is in the timbres and the subtle shifts of color; it’s like watching the sun play off the leaves on a fall day. MORE ELECTRO PSYCHEDELIA Four Tet’s new 12-inch single of ”As Serious as Your Life” – the best track off his brilliant Rounds – has a 23-minute version of the song that seems to begin in a temple, pass through a steel foundry, then proceed to chop a funky harpsichord into digital splinters.
Everyone Alive Wants Answers Does gender inform music making? It's a tricky question when talking about electronic music, since so few women are involved in it, and its monikered...Everyone Alive Wants Answers Does gender inform music making? It's a tricky question when talking about electronic music, since so few women are involved in it, and its monikered...2003-12-19
Lead Performer: Colleen; Producer (group): Leaf
Posted December 19 2003 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'iZombie' season 2 trailer teases what (or who) is on the menu for Liv Moore
- Casting Net: Mad Men star Jessica Pare cast in Lovesick
- 'Can't Buy Me Love' star Amanda Peterson's cause of death was an overdose
- Sony reaches settlement in hacking lawsuits
- Stephen Colbert counters Jeb Bush's 'Late Show' raffle with his own contest
- On the set of 'American Horror Story: Hotel': A foursome with Lady Gaga and Matt Bomer
- Steven Spielberg’s DreamWorks could leave Disney next year
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- The A List Ladies, Jake Gyllenhaal, Anna & Jane and More!