After decapitating a fellow with a length of wire, James Earl Cash departs with a bloody eight-pound trophy hanging from his belt. It’s one of many creepy moments in this nightmarish title, which begins with you (as Cash) strapped to a gurney and about to receive a lethal injection. Only you awaken to find yourself in a different kind of hell: as the star of an urban snuff film. The grim proceedings take place in a metropolis populated by homicidal thugs, skinheads, and deranged yokels – all of whom you must dispatch to escape this game of death (assisted by the unseen director, icily voiced by Brian Cox). Manhunt is yet another engrossing thrill ride from Rockstar North, the twisted geniuses behind the Grand Theft Auto series. They make undeniably great games, but we wouldn’t want them over for tea.
Posted December 19 2003 — 12:00 AM EST
- Simon Pegg ranks all the 'Star Wars' films in 60 seconds
- 'Sherlock' producer on how Victorian special changes Holmes and Watson
- 'Downton Abbey' final season gets U.S. premiere date
- Snoop Dog stopped at Italian airport with $422,000 in cash
- Bobbi Kristina Brown’s family, friends gather to attend her funeral
- 'Game of Thrones' casts Ian McShane in season 6 mystery role
- Judy Blume comes to the rescue after man loses wife’s favorite book
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- Michael & Kate, Michelle Rodriguez, Joss Stone and More!