”My love wasn’t true/Now all I have is you/Jesus, oh Jesus/I don’t want to die alone,” sings Josh Haden, son of famed jazz bassist Charlie Haden, on the plainspoken ”Spiritual.” It’s a song that tells you more about the root of religiosity than any dozen conventional gospel tunes. And it’s just one in a set of sumptuously sad numbers by Haden’s short-lived group, who put out three down-tempo, dark blue LPs that mixed jazz and old-fashioned pop with a hushed indie-rock sensibility before folding in 2001. If their debut had been released now, they’d probably be playing amphitheaters with Norah Jones. But in music, as in life, timing is everything. SIBLING RIVALRIES Haden’s sisters, Rachel and Petra, were in L.A.-based 1990s alt-pop outfit That Dog, whose records are worth hunting for.
Spirituals: The Best of Spain ''My love wasn't true/Now all I have is you/Jesus, oh Jesus/I don't want to die alone,'' sings Josh Haden, son of famed jazz bassist Charlie Haden, on...Spirituals: The Best of Spain ''My love wasn't true/Now all I have is you/Jesus, oh Jesus/I don't want to die alone,'' sings Josh Haden, son of famed jazz bassist Charlie Haden, on...2003-12-19
Producer (group): Restless, Rykodisc
Posted January 17 2015 — 4:48 AM EST
- 'Inside Out' clip: Joy has a special job for Sadness on the first day at a new school
- Host Luke Bryan on the ACM Awards' big stage: 'Certain people just really perform when the moment comes'
- 'Orphan Black' star Tatiana Maslany says fan love is 'like fuel for us'
- 'The Messengers' premiere: Heaven or hell?
- Casting Net: Ben Stiller confirms Penelope Cruz will be in 'Zoolander 2'
- 'Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk' gets Veteran's Day 2016 release
- Five Broadway tickets to snag before Tony nominations make it impossible
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Madonna's Cone Bra turns 25: How this Gaultier lingerie's legacy lingers
- Olivia Wilde, Brad Paisley, Brandy Norwood & More!